What the heck is a fatty?

I am looking to smoke my first fatty this weekend. At what temp do I smoke it at and for how long?

Like he said. :cool:

Seems like we talk about these all the time and it is one of the most asked questions of our new brethren(ette).

Buy yourself a log of breakfast sausage, you know the kind that you slice into patties and fry up in the skillet. Any kind will work, but we have pretty much settled on Jimmy Dean and Bob Evans. Cheaper brands tand to not taste any thing near that of the better brands, but tastes more like fat. Pick a flavor any flavor.

Take a knife and cut the wrapper off being careful to maintain the shape of the log. Place it in the smoker at your normal temps for smoking. Take it to 170 to insure doneness. This takes around 3 hours, but not usually more. I flip mine about half way through to get grate marks accross the top and the bottom.

Remove, slice, and enjoy.

Congratulations, you just smoked a fatty!

Next time, experiment with rubs or marinades if you care.

When they are on sale, I stock the freezer. I never fire up the smoker without tossing on a couple of fatties.

I am looking to smoke my first fatty this weekend. At what temp do I smoke it at and for how long?
Personally, I do mine at 225-250. Use a probe for the internal temp of 165. It generally takes around two hours, but usually less than three.

Try doing a chub of Italian sausage with no stuffing, then slice and place on slices of French bread with a little chimicurri. Heaven.

Hi all. we don't get breakfast logs here. how would I go about making one? I thought a Fatty was pork sausage filling rolled flat then topped with things like Jalapeno and cheese, rolled up and then wrapped in bacon.

You can always make your own. Here's a "Jimmy Dean" clone recipe if you're looking for breakfast sausage. Just mix it together and skip the part about stuffing and make a log instead.

http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/Link-JDean.pdf

A fatty can be any type of sausage. Stuffed, not stuffed, wrapped or naked. There's a thousand ways to make one. A naked fatty seems to be what you're asking about? That's nothing more than a log of breakfast sausage, coated with BBQ rub, and smoked to 170 degrees. Mmmmmm good.

Back