3-2-1 on a Fatty!!

Ah i've done that once before, only because i saw you guys talkin about it. It was really good.

I utilized a "modified" 2-2-1 on a couple fatties last weekend, and they were awesome. I lowered the first time increment from 3 hrs to 2 hrs cuz 3 seemed a bit long to me considering I previously cooked 3 hrs TOTAL (no foiling). Now, with 2 hrs foiled, 2 hrs naked seemed plenty. And it certainly was. I followed Bill's advice and heavily "juiced" 'em before foiling. I even managed to cooler them for very close to the full hour before I finally caved and opened one. Best ever.

Because of 2-fer-1 sale, I went with Owens brand - no complaints.

Yep, that last hour is the hardest part (IMO) cuz you want to tear into them

Solution: 4 at a time :)

Glad you liked them

I'm gonna sauce when wrap next time with Jalepeno jelly to try another variation

4900. Breathe brother Bill, breathe

Having Baby Backs ready when you put the fatties in the cooler works pretty good too
I always throw the fatties on first thing. I'll just have to start thawing out more.

What are you guys using to juice your fatties?
I don't spray much, but always before I wrap anything. Apple juice is the basic for me. Sometimes I'll warm some up and stir in some rub, maybe mix the AJ with some pepsi or cherry coke, some use a little whiskey with their spray.

Last week, it was Sprite (well shaken to make flat) for the sugar, a little pickle juice for the vinegar, and a dash of hot sauce for "what the hell". Shaken up, sprayed good.

On Friday, it was 2 kids clear cherry juice boxes in the sprayer.

willkat98 said:
Last week, it was Sprite (well shaken to make flat) for the sugar, a little pickle juice for the vinegar, and a dash of hot sauce for "what the hell". Shaken up, sprayed good.

On Friday, it was 2 kids clear cherry juice boxes in the sprayer.

Why do you make the soda flat?

So it doesnt fark up my sprayer.

If I dont, it sprays it and carbonates like fizz when you pour warm pop on ice.

It also creates a suction that deforms the plastic bottle and then forces leaks in the pump nozzle dealie.

This is going to be one of the first things I try. No matter what I put in the Bandera, a fatty is getting thrown in as well...It's hard to imagine what this is going to taste like. I have been sharing some of my plans with the guys and work and I think they are ready to see results!!!

I have some brats that I had made from my elk. Maybe I will hand roll a fatty from a few of those and give it a whirl. I will go with the 3-2-1 method to ensure it doesn't dry out. When the brats were made, the butcher added pork fat to them along with cheddar cheese and chunks of japs.

Yup..I'm gonna try this myself.
I did my first 'fatties' for T-day...did them for 3 hours...they were a bit overdone and dried out. I can see where it could be really great..so, will try the 2-2-1 thing next time I do them...
:)

When the brats were made, the butcher added pork fat to them along with cheddar cheese and chunks of japs.

Now I'm farking straving. Just a thought mixing maple syrup to the fatty before smoking ? Been wanting to try this.

brdbbq said:
When the brats were made, the butcher added pork fat to them along with cheddar cheese and chunks of japs.

Now I'm farking straving. Just a thought mixing maple syrup to the fatty before smoking ? Been wanting to try this.

Straving, eh?

Poobah Typing Mod

2-2-1 thing next time I do them...
Done the 3-2-1 mod and it is good, but usually I throw on fatties first thing when I start an early morning cook, when the therm says 160 I start the biscuits. Works well to turn them over after an hour or 90 mins (thanks Greg).

cayenne said:
Yup..I'm gonna try this myself.
I did my first 'fatties' for T-day...did them for 3 hours...they were a bit overdone and dried out. I can see where it could be really great..so, will try the 2-2-1 thing next time I do them...
:)

What kind of fatty did you use? What were your temps? A fatty should not dry out in 3 hrs. unless it is in a hot spot. I always put mine up high in a cool spot. They make great basters.

I used...

BigdogSmoker said:
What kind of fatty did you use? What were your temps? A fatty should not dry out in 3 hrs. unless it is in a hot spot. I always put mine up high in a cool spot. They make great basters.

I threw on a couple of Jimmy Dean ones I beleive...one hot, the other maple flavored.
I can't remember if they were on the bottom or 2nd from bottom rack in the bandera...but, were on the side fartherest from the fire entrance....

My temps never got much above 200F the whole time..in fact, they were lower than that for a good bit.....didn't have any extra probe thermometers at the time...but, went for 3 hours...brought in...and they were like dry little logs...

:-(

Fatty Heaven

I am new to the forum but after reading these posts, I decided to put a couple of Owens (regular) fatties in the smoker with my Pork Butts. Gotta say its the best breakfast sausage I've ever had !!

thanks

Back