998 998 151 887 876 987 wtf?

Keller Steeler

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
These were my rib scores from Mobile - 998 998 151 887 876 987

I live in Texas and cook one FBA or KCBS contest a year (that may change since there is one in Bedford, Texas this year), but I don't understand how I have one outlying score.

The way I understand it, it got thrown out, but how could a table captain let that go through?

He may have let it go through because he knew the lowest score would get thrown away. He should have, at the very least, spoke to the judge that gave the 1-5-1. The thing that troubles me is, why judge if you are going to score like that? You were not disqualified. If you were everyone would have given you 1's. At least thats my take without having been there.

Never seen that before. I'd call the KCBS office and find out what that's all about

I don't think thats a valid score. 1 is a DQ score. Might be a keying error. I'd ask for someone to review the judge paper slip.

Can you get hold of the contest rep? After seeing a score like that, I believe the table captain is supposed to call over the rep, who should educate the judge. 1 is a DQ score, and should not stand unless the entry is a valid DQ from all judges, isn't that right? I'd query the rep as to what went down there.

One more instance of why I'd like to have it be standard practice to save the original paper scores for a set time, say a couple of weeks.

I don't think thats a valid score. 1 is a DQ score. Might be a keying error. I'd ask for someone to review the judge paper slip.

I agree...and it was my understanding that a 1 can't be given out without the contest rep knowing about it.....
If one person sees something that qualifies the presentation as a 1, why didn't the others? Pooling of the sauce? Marking the box? Wrong garnish? In any case, it should have been pointed out to the table captain, and then on to the rep.

Here in Missouri, the rep has the courtesy to come to your site and tell you why you was DQ'd.

isnt a 1 something you can get for a brush hair or foreign object on the sample thats at judges discretion to eat or toss? They decide if they want to remove the object and eat the sample, or DQ it?

I seem to remember something to that effect somewhere down the road.

I agree...and it was my understanding that a 1 can't be given out without the contest rep knowing about it.....
If one person sees something that qualifies the presentation as a 1, why didn't the others? Pooling of the sauce? Marking the box? Wrong garnish? In any case, it should have been pointed out to the table captain, and then on to the rep.

Here in Missouri, the rep has the courtesy to come to your site and tell you why you was DQ'd.

And if there was something worthy of a DQ, I believe all three scores should be a "1"

Yea....it's the 1 in presentation that is throwing me.......and that judge got a sample, so there were 6 definable pieces, because he/she judged it on taste....and it's pretty unlikely one rib out of a minimum of six was raw, which would constitute the 1 for tenderness.......

Keller.......in this old man's opinion, you are victim of human error(s)

I'm going to see Ed Roith this weekend at our judging class, I'll be sure to print this and ask.....I maybe totally wrong in my thinking.

From the KBCS rules.... a 1 is only to be given at the direction of the Rep

4) The scoring system is from 9 to 2, all whole numbers
between two and nine may be used to score an entry. 9
excellent, 8 very good, 7 above average, 6 average, 5
below average, 4 poor, 3 bad, and 2 inedible.

5) A score of one (1) is a disqualification and requires
approval by a Contest Rep. Grounds for disqualification:
All judges will give a one (1) in Appearance for
unapproved garnish, pooled sauce or less than 6 samples
of meat. All judges will give a one (1) in all criteria for
sculptured meat, a marked turn-in container, foreign
object in the container, incorrect meat. All judges not
receiving a sample will give a one (1) in all criteria.

Contact the rep and find out if they were aware of a rib dq question. I don't believe the table capt shouldn't have allowed the 1's.

Buster Dog, did you get 1's across the board for your micro foil or was it just a 1 from that judge?

Yes, the data entry person misread sevens as ones. We did not catch it until all the packets were put together just prior to awards. When we pulled the actual score card we saw that even if the sevens were entered correctly that score would be dropped and nothing would change.

I was trying to find Twin Pigs after the awards to explain, but it got too hectic due to the rain.

Phillip

Yes, the data entry person misread sevens as ones. We did not catch it until all the packets were put together just prior to awards. When we pulled the actual score card we saw that even if the sevens were entered correctly that score would be dropped and nothing would change.

I was trying to find Twin Pigs after the awards to explain, but it got too hectic due to the rain.

Phillip

Thanks Phillip for the explanation - it makes sense now. Anyway - great to see you. Thanks again.

It was a torrential downpour during awards and right after - as soon as awards were over, I left. As Phillip explained they tried, but the weather was terrible and I was gone.

It may make sense, but it was still something that shouldn't have gotten by us that long. And we should have gotten in touch with you after the awards!

Great seeing you again!

Phillip

talk about a rep who is on it....that is one of the reasons that Kettering is such a great event.....was awesome to read not only initial complaint, but, how quickly it was resolved, and right in front of our eyes.....kinda like a episode of Dr. Phil, well, without all of the annoying commercials and all....

It was a torrential downpour during awards and right after - as soon as awards were over, I left. As Phillip explained they tried, but the weather was terrible and I was gone.

Please understand I wasn't judging Phillip....just didn't know if visiting on a DQ was done everywhere.....but it wasn't a DQ.....
And on the way back to work from lunch today, it hit me that the 7-5-7 would have been thrown out anyway.
your other marks looked pretty decent!

Back