Judge my boxes also please.

chibi

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Judge my boxes also please.BETTER PICS NOW!!

These are my turn ins from Frisco Co 4 weeks ago. Need to see what to do different. Will tell scores later. I forgot to take the brisket pic. DUH! be brutaly honest also I can take it.
redid pics!!

Attachments

• ribs2.jpg
    ribs2.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 161
  • pork2.jpg
    pork2.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 161
  • chix2.jpg
    chix2.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Overall, I think you need to consider adding more sauce.. They all look a bit dry. Chicken is a bit toasty. Garnish is decent for what it's worth.

Pork - 6
Ribs - 6
Chicken -5

I'd say make a decision and stick with it on the garnish. Some places you have parsley and some don't. It just ain't even.

Add some sauce to your pork. No matter how good you think it is, judges are expecting sauce. And fill in the gap at the lower left corner.

The ribs would be better if you made them all face the same way and made them look like a slab that is still together. Practice on getting your cuts straighter and work with a sharper knife.

Could be the picture but the chicken looks burnt in some spots. Try putting them face down in a pan of sauce and put them back in the smoker for a few minutes to try and cover the dark spots.

Just my 2 cents

Same as above, and to add, uniformity helps. Especially with those chicken thighs. They are all over the place in size.

Pictures are kind of small so your entries may be better than I can see.
With that, heres my evaluation.

Pork - I like the chunk look your going for. I like the bark you have presented. Looks a little dry. Maybe a 7.

Ribs - spend a little more time on your box. Looks a bit messy and the ribs look dry. Try to add more than 6. Fill the box. I'd give a 6 if not a 5. Try to cut your ribs from the same rack. It makes it look nicer when the pieces fit together.

Chicken - Looks burnt and dry. I'd go a 5. Also, try to keep the sizes the same. Trim them if you need to.

Maybe spray all of them with a liquid to make them a least look moist.
Hope i wasn't too harsh. Like I said, it could be the pictures.
Look forward to seeing the scores.

Last edited:
Pork: looks a little dry, garnish is uneven - 6

Ribs: as served I'd assume Memphis style dry ribs a little hard to tell from the picture. The garnish is really uneven front to back and the is a bit of a hole on the right side - 7

Chicken: Looks burnt - I don't care for the parsley in between the meat. THe meat looks buried in the garnish - 5

Ok,

Ribs - I like the color and I wouldn't penalize you for not using sauce could use a spritz to make them appear moist though. I think the garnish is a little bit rough you need more parsley and I would also make a bed of lettuce underneath the ribs to raise them up. All and all I would give you a 7

Pork - Looks dry to me I do like the chunks maybe a dip in the au jou before plating or brush or spray with it to help it look moist. 6

Chicken - I am not digging it they look burnt and they are not very uniform - Sorry to say but 5.

OK, here we go... (I should warn you that I'm expecting the same treatment when I post my next set of boxes!)

Ribs - 7
I'm not a fan of both lettuce and Parsley, it makes it look rough and is very hard to keep it even all the way around the box so I would go with one or the other, not both.

The meat looks dry. If you are going Memphis, try a spray of apple juice just prior to putting them in the box. I would also go with more than 6 ribs and really try to make them all the same size so that they look like they came off the same slab. I would also go with 8 ribs just in case two end up sticking and also to give the Table Judge a chance at one. I would go with two rows of four ribs per row.

Pork - 7
Again, stick with one garnish. The garnish around the sides of the box are very uneven and tells me that you felt you were maybe running out of time.

I'm seeing some reflection off of the meat so I'm thinking that it is more juicy than it looks. I agree with Mista in that a thinned down version of sauce would be a good thing.

Chicken - 5
The garnish is better but it looks like you are trying to hide something with the parsley.

The size of each thigh is all over the place. I recommend that you trim it prior to cooking. It does look like the skin is 'over crispy' (burned). How was it cooked? Smoker or grill?

Sorry, but you asked.....

Try to arrange the garnish so it is more uniform. Parsley is really hard to work with and very time consuming. Tro to put the chicken so that the same siz pieces are next to each other. Ideally you want all the same size- and less burnt of course. That is a lot of pork in the box may want to decrease the amount. Have the ribs all in a nice straight line.

I agree with Mista.

I'd score something like:

Chicken - 5
Pork - 7
Ribs - 6

(With the usual caveats about photos vs actual box)

Man, tough crowd. After looking at all the other scores, I must be missing something. Have the boxes on a split screen right now, maybe I am getting away from the garnish and just concentrating more on the meat appearence.

I just dont see 5 & 6's! If you are gonna garnish, I like to see lettuce and parsley and I think the ribs look great, therefore I gave it a nine, I cant see anyway to make that box better.

On the pork I gave it an eight cuz it had some yellow lettuce, yeah I know I just said judge on the meat!

The chicken looks burnt, some would say crispy, that is just personal prefference, therefore 7.

But 5 & 6's...man very tough crowd!

Really would like to hear what you got!

Ok here are the scores I got

Ribs898877

chix886867

pork787677

I did not sauce the pork. Will nexttime.
Ribs have 2 coatings of sauce. Really are juicy.
Chix is burnt. But got 22th place out of 54 with it. Which is great for me. Need to work on not burning. But was the best thing I did.

Also need to learn how to better take pics. No lettuce is yellow. I know it looks like it but again I need lessons on pic taking.
Thanks for the words. NO hard feelings I need to hear what others think so I can get better.

I'd give them a 7/7/6

I have seen more than one reply in these threads refer to the garnish being this garnish being that..... aren't the judges to rate appearance by the meat and not the garnish?

I understand the inherent difficulties in that but isnt that the "official" position on judging?

I have seen more than one reply in these threads refer to the garnish being this garnish being that..... aren't the judges to rate appearance by the meat and not the garnish?

I understand the inherent difficulties in that but isnt that the "official" position on judging?

I have heard that also on the Internet.

Makes me wonder why I would want to add garnish if it is not part of the appearance and can not effect my score. :wink:

Just curious.

Entries look fine to me with the exceptions noted by the Brothers above.
Chicken probably needs the most work, but a good start.

TIM

The garnish does go along with the appearence so it is probably rated eventhough the meat is the most important. Tast also is influenced by the appearence

Back