Brisket Flat Only.......no biggie?

Wampus

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I got this thing at Sam's and took it out of the fridge to look at it and just now noticed it's a flat. No point. They only had 4 briskets anyway, and they all must have been flats, I just never looked that hard.

So I'm assuming still the same.....250 till buttaness has been fully achieved, correct? I keep hearing about flats drying out, anything I should be looking out for?

Just keep an eye on it once it gets close, the flats have a smaller sweet spot before drying out too much since they dont have the point to help out.

I cook flats (fat side down) at 250* to 165*, then foil with liquid (fat side up), and take to tender, at about 195*, then let it rest for at least an hour.

Flats certainly don't take as long to cook as full packers, so keep that in mind when you throw it on the smoker. And watch it close when the temp gets up above 190°F as they can go from done to dry pretty fast.

I've always smoked flats to 180 then foiled and taken up to 195-205. You must start checking with a probe at about 195 for doneness, don't rely totally on temperature with a brisket. When it's done, remove from heat, and let it rest in the foil for an hour.

I buy flats from Sam's and cook them like Mike in Maine says

Back