Vote if you think Gas should be allowed in Sanctioned Contest Now

Should BBQ Sanctions Now Allow LP Gas for Teams (Pro and Backyard)

• Yes - Allow LP Gas in Sanctioned Team Compititions

Votes: 69 36.3%
  • No - Keep LP Gas out of Sanctioned Team Compititions

Votes: 121 63.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
B

BigJimsBBQ

This is a poll to see if all of the BBQ Sanctions should open the compititions up by modifying existing rules and allow gas in Pro and Backyard Teams.

sure, why not ? next they can start accepting precooked items also.

No. Maintaining temperature with wood or charcoal is part of the skill. BTW, I'm not a huge fan of pellet poopers or those rigs with fans and RC.

Bring it on!
I got a thousand dollar Kenmore grill I've been dying to cook on!

Where's the I don't care, it's a lot more about the cook then it is the cooker option?

Next you'll be polling to see if transvestites should be allowed in the Miss USA/America contests!:-D

If it's gas, it's not barbecue!

Been thinking about this for a while. Would gassers even be interested? I mean, let's say a Weber gasser is $500 for comparison purposes. Well, you will probably need two to three of them to compete if you wanted to. So for that much money you can buy a nice smoker or a combination of smokers which will better handle the size of the meat needing cooked.

Been thinking about this for a while. Would gassers even be interested? I mean, let's say a Weber gasser is $500 for comparison purposes. Well, you will probably need two to three of them to compete if you wanted to. So for that much money you can buy a nice smoker or a combination of smokers which will better handle the size of the meat needing cooked.

Trust me, there are $14K LP Smokers rolling out there on trailers already (Southern Pride / Old Smokey)

Trust me, there are $14K LP Smokers rolling out there on trailers already (Southern Pride / Old Smokey)
Yeah, I know that. I though the point of your post was so that it would open up the contest to allow gassers, and by that my interpretation was the guys who have those sitting on there decks.

I'm good with it. At the Best of the Best held in Douglas GA any and all types of smokers are allowed.
It is wide open, may the best man win!
I don't recall gas winning...

I hear you Rub and it may increase the number of teams but I prefer to just say no :wink:

I'm with Rub.... let em all in... may the best cook win.
I was a stick burner for 10 years before I switched to pellets...
Let the electric guys in too.... to bring the bradley, and masterchef units.... as well as the Ameri-que cookers!!

whats the difference

a gas burner in your fire box or a hopper full of pellets. set it and forget it.

Southern Pride only uses LP to light the logs in the beginning. LP only pits (restaurant style) are not allowed at comps.

IMO there is no way to get the same natural smoke ring or flavor with gas.

My vote is no because I only know what I know. The mystique to competitive cooking is in the rules that existed when we began this party / obsession. If there was a change in the rules I would accept it without complaint. This because it does, indeed, all come down to execution.

Back