American Royal Questions

bearnakedbbq

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Ok, I have the days off to go to the American Royal.

So it is worth going to? Sounds like alot of teams.

I would need to borrow, rent or barter tents, tables and other items.

Lots of hotel space around the area? Think anything is availble?

Looking for Helpful hints.

Troy

There should not be any problems of getting you the items you need. Make a list & post.

There is not much going on around KC on that weekend, so hotels should be easy to get.

I live in town, let me know what I can help with.

I can guarantee that there is NOTHING like the AR. There are over 460 teams already placed (for spots) for this year. If you are coming and expecting to win, then I would say it is not worth coming. You need to come and plan on having a GREAT time and meet lots of other teams and HOPE you do well.

I made some reservations this afternoon for that weekend with no problem. I am cooking it for the first time this year. I have judged it for the last five years. It is a sight to see and should be on the bucket list of anyone who is a BBQ fanatic. keith

We may not make it this year but I can tell ya that it is unreal the first time your there. Been there 2 times and still have not covered it all. Love the place. We may just come out to cook the Invitational on a friends site and then head home not sure yet.

Instead of a hotel, rent an RV and stay on site.

I was just on Google looking at hotels and see they are not that close, plus the cost for the Marriot is $190 per night.

I will Google RV rentals and see how that works.

Troy

I can guarantee that there is NOTHING like the AR. There are over 460 teams already placed (for spots) for this year. If you are coming and expecting to win, then I would say it is not worth coming. You need to come and plan on having a GREAT time and meet lots of other teams and HOPE you do well.

This ^^^, what she said. :thumb:

I was just on Google looking at hotels and see they are not that close, plus the cost for the Marriot is $190 per night.

Troy

Get ahold of premier coach, they have rv's and travel trailers. I got a quote from them for a travel trailer, really easy to work with and prices weren't that far off a hotel and they do deliver :-D

Troy

I am staying with my cooker but get a hotel for my wife. Check out the hotel savoy. $110 per night and includes a breakfast to die for. A taxi ride is $12.00 as getting in and out Friday night can be crazy. Pm me if you want more info. Keith

Thanks for all the input so far.

Does this event sell out? Not ready to commit on the airline tickets until I a few of the other items planned first.

Did place an ad on Craigslist (kansas city) asking about a RV rental, but then I am thinking the cost of the event will go up a bid since I will need more space.

Lots to think about.

troy

I would say of course you don't come down to lose but the AR Open is such a crap shoot. That's why Kim said don't PLAN to win. Hope to do well. Not only will you be competing against probably 250 of the best teams from around the nation, you'll also be competing against about 200 or so teams that don't give a squat and are there for the party, corporate parties or private. But, since our entries aren't compared to other entries, if you cook well, there's no reason you can't do as well as anyone in the contest. Same as anywhere in that respect - you gotta get on tables where you get lucky and all the judges like your food.

I just wanted you to know the "real deal". It is a fun but VERY long weekend. When cooking against 500+ teams anything can happen. And the weather can be anything; hot, rainy, cold, freezing, snowy or icy. Its all part of the "fun".

From what I've read it's a crap shoot...I heard it has mostly judges with little experience that sign up just to eat. So almost anybody can do decent with a bit of luck...

From what I've read it's a crap shoot...I heard it has mostly judges with little experience that sign up just to eat. So almost anybody can do decent with a bit of luck...
It is not quite that bad. They do a pretty good job of getting as many CBJs as they can and most of the judges that are not certified seem to take the task seriously. They also seat us so that each table has 4 or 5 CBJs with one or two judges that may not be. Landing on the right table always has some luck to it but I think the organiezers do a good job of trying to make it as fair a playing feild as possible. just my take on it. keith
ps this is for the open. The invitational has all CBJ's

Last edited:
Back