• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

The *OFFICIAL* Throwdown Photography Tips Thread

Hey, I did some color and contrast adjusting for someone else's Throw Down entry and got scolded. I have to say, since I started shooting from father away, per Northwest BBQ's advice, my photos have improved a lot. I use the on-camera flash and shooting up close is just to bright. I am too lazy to go to storage and get the special lights.

As requested, here a few tips for making adjustments on the computer.

I feel I should point out that your goal in correcting throwdown entry photos should be accuracy, not enhancement. You want your food to look as good in the photo as it does in reality -- not better.

I use Photoshop CS5, but Photoshop Elements does everything you need to do to post good food shots on the forum. Other programs may do the same stuff, but I don't know those programs. Depending on the version of Photoshop or Elements you use, the menus may differ from what I post below. These should be good for most versions, though.

There are many good video tutorials on YouTube covering all of the controls I mention. There is no way I can teach you how to use all of these controls in this thread better than these videos can. I am mainly telling you which windows and commands in Photoshop and Elements I would use.

1. All digital images, even the ones from my professional Nikon D3, need some amount of sharpening. In Photoshop, I use Filter>Sharpen>Smart Sharpen. You will need to experiment with settings to fit your camera. For my D3, I set the Amount at about 120 (for full-size, 300 DPI images), and the Radius at 0.6, and adjust for Gaussian Blur, in most cases. With smaller, lower resolution images, that Amount will be too much. You just need to experiment. Once you get it right, you can apply that to all your images from one particular camera.

2. For color and contrast corrections, I have found that the Image>Adjustments>Auto Levels command often does a decent enough job for a lot of images, if you don't want to mess with manually adjusting your levels. The Image>Adjustments>Levels control window will give better results than the Image>Adjustments>Brightness/Contrast control window. So, I would choose Levels over Brightness/Contrast every time.

Auto Levels will do some color correction, too, as it tries to make what it thinks is absolute white look absolutely white. Using the eye droppers in the Levels controls window will do some color correcting, too. If you shoot under good lighting, like daylight, that alone may be all you need to do to get good color.

Image>Adjustments>Auto Color will give you a better results, especially for shots taken in tricky lighting. If you want to go manual, use the Image>Adjustment>Color Balance controls. The Image>Adjustments>Hue/Saturation controls are NOT a good way to adjust color. I also use Image>Adjustments>Selective Color from time to time, when want to enhance one color.

If your colors are weak, which often happens if your images are also low contrast, use the Image>Adjustments>Hue/Saturation controls ONLY to adjust the color saturation. Ignore the Hue and Lightness sliders -- those jobs are done better with the Color Balance and Levels controls. You can also use the SPONGE tool to adjust the saturation up or down on just certain parts of your image. So, if your tomatoes are weak, but everything else is good, you can punch up the color of the tomatoes. Of course, for a throwdown, you need to be careful not to make your foods look better than they really look. Use good judgement when you do any selective tweaking.

That's what comes to mind right now. Perhaps other Photoshop users will have some more tips, and people who use other programs can help translate. Ask questions if you have them, but the best way to learn this stuff is to do it. Watch some YouTube tutorials, and practice.

CD

I've had some people PM me about what I think of certain cameras. I would love to help, but I only keep up with the kinds of cameras that I can use to make money with -- basically professional cameras. I worked my way through college at a camera store, but that was back when the earth was cooling, and digital referred to the fingers on your hands.

I buy a lot of my expendables online, but I buy my cameras from a local professional dealer, even though it costs me more to do that. They know I am a Nikon Professional, and if my D3 stops working, they will loan me another D3 while they get mine fixed. They take good care of me. That's worth something.

Buying your camera from a local camera store, and I'm not talking Best Buy, but a real camera store, is worth it, IMO. They will take time to help you make a good choice, and they will teach you how to use your new camera, and they will talk to you when you have a problem figuring out how to do something with your camera.

I will give a plug to one under $500 camera -- one I just bought, and really like. I need a compact camera to get into tight places on the classic cars I photograph. I recently added a Canon G12 to my camera gear, and I am very impressed with it. A lot of pros are doing the same.

I may just use it for my next throwdown entry, just for grins. It's not likely to hurt my odds of winning, which are pretty slim even with the D3. :sad:

CD

I have an invaluable tip to share.

Do not take pics of your food inside of a SPAM bowl.

That is all.

That is all.

That goes without saying. You'd have to be a moron to do that. :rolleyes:

CD

Thanks for all the tips in this thread. I actually just found it the other day. While I don't have a "fancy" camera yet this does have a lot of food for thought and will definitely help me decide on what camera to upgrade to. Aside from cooking spam and building crap out of bed rails, I do a lot of outdoors stuff and have been to Alaska several times now. Every time I kick myself for only having a "cheap" camera. While I don't have to worry as much about dropping it off a cliff or in the ocean, I really would like to capture some of the stuff I have seen in a better manner. Its so frustrating to show people pics and have to constantly explain that it looks so much better in real life. Thanks again.

That is all.

ROFL, that literally made me choke on a drink.

I was playing around a bit with some farmer's market tomatoes, and decided to play around with aperture settings. Here are a couple examples... this is something worth doing, especially with a tripod, that I don't do often enough. I just go wide open (usually f/1.4), with very shallow depth of field, but that's not really always appropriate.

Anyway, here's f/1.4, shutter at 1/50 sec.
6086337337_9d155ef1b4_b.jpg

Moved to f/2.8, shutter at 1/15 sec.
6086337473_b11506f4e4_b.jpg

Then f/5 at 1/5 sec.
6086337617_dee9133a1f_b.jpg

f/8 at 1/2 second
6086337799_31af39e0f6_b.jpg

And, lastly, f/16 at 2.5 sec.
6086884816_76acfbf62d_b.jpg

I think the differences are pretty obvious, as the DOF gets larger and larger.

After spending last weekend staying over a great bar for three days, I need to stay away from cocktails for a bit! :) Tomatoes are safer.

Ok, here's a question for you pros...

I want to get a 9-10 stop ND filter for use on a couple of lenses. I was thinking Cokin, but have found bad things about their ND filters (color changes). Then I was thinking Lee, and choked on the price.

I'm talking solid ND, so I am now debating between B+W 110 and Light Craft Workshop 77mm ND500MC Filter (10 stop for the B+W, 9 for the Light Craft). I'll get the 77mm as that's the larger lens, with a step up ring for 62-77mm to use with the other lens.

Any suggestions, thoughts, etc?

I don't use a lot of filters, but the ones I do own are all B+W.

CD

Ok, here's a question for you pros...

I want to get a 9-10 stop ND filter for use on a couple of lenses. I was thinking Cokin, but have found bad things about their ND filters (color changes). Then I was thinking Lee, and choked on the price.

I'm talking solid ND, so I am now debating between B+W 110 and Light Craft Workshop 77mm ND500MC Filter (10 stop for the B+W, 9 for the Light Craft). I'll get the 77mm as that's the larger lens, with a step up ring for 62-77mm to use with the other lens.

Any suggestions, thoughts, etc?

Tiffen filters have always been high quality. They are not cheap like Cokin
filters though. They are cheaper than Nikon and Canon etc. filters.

I LOVE my lenses with short F-stops. They're great for food, portraits, etc. I have one that does not have a zoom on it, and was the least expensive canon lens in my aresnal, but it is BY far my favorite lens.

Also, a remote, off shoe flash is always a great idea too, and you can get really creative with lighting!

Tiffen doesn't make a 10 stop that I can find, but I went ahead and bought the B+W. I would have gotten the Light Craft model, but I couldn't find the one I wanted in the US. it seems easy to find in England, but not here.

B+W makes a fine product and would have been my first choice; I think you'll be happy with your decision.

Okay, here is a super-simple setup that anyone with a half decent camera can use. I used this exact setup to shoot these shots for throwdowns, using my Canon G12 point-and-shoot, in Program mode...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

It is this easy. I moved my kitchen table over to my kitchen window. I set the food on the table. I aimed the camera. I took about a dozen pictures at slightly different angles, so I could choose the best on the computer.

No flash. Just natural light from behind the subject. Here is what it looks like when I shoot...

picture.php

CD

Wait a second. How did you take a picture of yourself taking a picture.

I call Photoshopped

Fake!
FAKE!!!
FAKE!!!!!!!

Wait a second. How did you take a picture of yourself taking a picture.

I call Photoshopped

Fake!
FAKE!!!
FAKE!!!!!!!

I used the professional camera on a tripod, with the self-timer to photograph me pretending to take a picture of an empty plate. Hey, I'm a farking professional. Now, go away, yer botherin' me. :heh:

CD :becky:

Back