Whitt's vinegar sauce recipe?

MICHIGAN SMOKE

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I live in Michigan, and I have family in Tennessee and Alabama. I absolutely love Whitt's vinegar sauce, but haven't been able to replicate it. Anyone have a really close recipe they wouldn't mind sharing? I buy the stuff by the gallon when I get south, but that isn't cutting it!

Any suggestions? I have tried every recipe I ran across online.

Lot of hits when you search for Whitt's Vinegar Sauce,
here is one,
WHITT'S VINEGAR BASED BBQ SAUCE

2 cups cider vinegar
1 cup water
1 cup ketchup
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup cooking oil
1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper

Bring all ingredients to a boil stirring constantly, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes stirring occasionally.

Dissolve 3 tablespoons of cornstarch in 1/4 cup of cold water and mix into a paste.

Slowly stir cornstarch paste into sauce and simmer to thicken to desired consistency.

Makes about 1 1/2 quarts.

Click here to view: http://www.recipelink.com/cgi/msgbrd/msg_script.pl?getmsg=1&board=14&thread=31815

My wife likes it too. We don't have one here in Chattanooga, but when we go to Nashville, we buy a gallon at a time. If you have family near one, just have them get a gallon for you.

i appreciate that recipe...but like i said in the original post, i have tried every recipe i came across while searching online. They are all lacking...and every recipe that i have invented has been lacking as well.

And as for buying the sauce, I said that I get it by the gallon. But I can't drive 10 hours each time I run out.

Mot sure if this is what you are looking for, It's from Peace Love and BBQ by Mike Mills.

1 cup light corn syrup(Karo)

1 cup white vinegar

1/2 cup water

3 tablespoons ketchup

2 taplespoons sugar

1 tablesppon unsulfured molasses

1 1/2 teaspoons pectin(Sure-Jell)

2 teaspoons yellow mustard

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper

1 1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes

1/2 teaspoon paprika

Blend together in saucepan over medium heat. Slowly bring to a boil. Cool and transfer to container. Keep in fridge.

Mot sure if this is what you are looking for, It's from Peace Love and BBQ by Mike Mills.

1 cup light corn syrup(Karo)

1 cup white vinegar

1/2 cup water

3 tablespoons ketchup

2 taplespoons sugar

1 tablesppon unsulfured molasses

1 1/2 teaspoons pectin(Sure-Jell)

2 teaspoons yellow mustard

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper

1 1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes

1/2 teaspoon paprika

Blend together in saucepan over medium heat. Slowly bring to a boil. Cool and transfer to container. Keep in fridge.

^^^This one is as close as it gets!

Back