• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Question about pork butt

Lockon

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am thinking about doing a pork butt. Do you wrap a pork but in foil during the cook?

It's not necessary but if you do you can speed up the cook. Either cook until tender without foil or wrap around 160 until tender

If my cook is going RIGHT I don't foil until they are resting. Which is 250, clean blue smoke the whole way. If the wind says hello and raises my temps I'll let them go to a color I like, wrap, and let the temps go all the way to 330 if they wanna go there. I don't like choking a fire while I have unwrapped butts on. I don't like the taste.

Just what I do.

It is completely personal preference. I do both ways but recently I have been wrapping once the bark turns a nice color. I don't like the bark to get too hard and thick. Usually around 160 or so IT. At that point the meat has taken all the smoke it's going to take, so you are just drying it out while cooking it. Why not wrap?

Just like the cooking temperature/method you choose: It is merely a personal preference.

I do not foil, but recently I had to wrap due to having 121 pounds of butts in the smoker which slightly slowed down the cooking process.

I foiled to get through the stall and then unwrapped to firm the bark up again once I got close to 180°.

I've eaten pork cooked with foil and without foil from many pits, bottom line it was always good eating food. Use the method that best suits your needs and your time schedule.

It is all about personal preference.

There are camps that say absolutely no wrapping and swear by it.
There are camps that wrap by time and/or internal temperature and swear by it.
There are camps that will only wrap if the color on the bark gets to where they want. Sometimes they wrap and sometimes they dont.

I fall into the camp that doesn't wrap unless the color of the bark dictates it.

I never used to but lately I have around 4 hrs in to reclaim some of the porky goodness to pour over the pulled meat that is some tasty stuff.

Just curious, but has anyone ever wrapped a butt in butcher paper as opposed to foil...ala an Aaron Franklin brisket? I started using butcher paper with my briskets last year, but never tried it with a butt.

Instead of wrapping try putting it in a foil pan and tent it ...save the goodness to pour back into the pork once its pulled ...I will never do anything different if you try it you will do it from now on too

Back