Tuning for a horizontal/offset smoker

chad

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I think I'm getting a horizontal/offset smoker similar to Hondo, Black Diamond - so anyone got hints on tuning it??

I know I need to make sure the chimney goes all the say to the cooking grate. Anyone got an opinion (like this group NEVER has an opinion!!) on fabricating a tuning plate or baffle.

I see the pics on the Yahoo site with the Hondo tuning plate -- can anyone elaborate on whether this actually worked or would I perhaps be better off with a baffle and "water pan" setup??

I'm still hoping for a Bandera but I'm thinking the $100 difference is going to result in a horizontal smoker -- I'm not complaining, just stating fact.

Thank! That's pretty much what I was looking for.

Guess I ought to wait until Friday to buy the metal for the baffle, huh!!?? :D

Glad to help a brother out. I got all kinds of chit bookmarked since I started smoking with the stick burner 2 months ago..

BTW whatever happened on the resturant idea that you posted links to?
Or I think that was you as it was in Florida. Hmmm. off topic, maybe you'd better PM me the answer to this one. sorry guys!

BTW whatever happened on the resturant idea that you posted links to?
Or I think that was you as it was in Florida. Hmmm. off topic, maybe you'd better PM me the answer to this one. sorry guys

The restaurant building was leased by the time I got around to tracking down the agent :D I'll keep trying -- also trying to get stuff together to do small caterings and/or food cart type business at fairs/festivals/etc.

thanks for the Teddy Bear BBQ site -- good info and some good links for mods to cookers -- I think I saw mods for Klose, Brinkmann, Bandera, Weber, etc. They offer good info without getting anal about "their" way of doing things.

Thanks again for the info. And, yes, I'll need to wait until Friday to buy baffle and water pan parts :D -- probably need to get some expanded metal for a charcoal basket, too!! Saw some at the local Ace hardware the other day.

Well, I got my early Christmas present this evening. It is a New Braunfels offset smoker -- I don't think it has a "name" but it's similar to the Silver smoker and/or Black Diamond -- some update "lines" and so forth.

I headed to Lowe's and bought some 22 gauge steel for a baffle and some expanded metal for the charcoal basket. Already have both installed :D. I'll try and get some pics tomorrow evening or Christmas day. I've got a chimney of Kingsford going right now to season it.

I ain't wasting no time! I've got a brisket that has an appointment with this new cooker on Christmas morning.

Thanks for the links, etc. for the upgrades. They and the pics from the "old" yahoo site helped. I'm going to do the baffle with water pan in the bottom of the chamber for the first cooking session and see if that keeps my temps within reason.

Wish me luck! I'm off to pour my charcoal into my new basket in my new smoker :D

my hondo is tuned, I made the plate out of 3/8 aluminum. Used option 4 in the document solidkick posted. You need to extend the chimney down tot he grate and relocate the thermometer to grate level.

Pics are posted in the mods sections.

Thanks.

This model has the chimney down at grate level! Guess they learned something from users :D They left the thermometer hole up hight but I'm using oven thermometers for the time being along with my electonic with probe. I'll install one in the lid, at grate level, after the holidays.

After my seasoning burn I can see that fire control will be an issue -- I had a pretty good pile of Kingsford going and the temp was around 350 near the baffle and about 300 near the chimney. I'm thinking a bit smaller fire and doing some damper adjustments to stabilize the heat before adding the meat will be the way to go -- I've gotten spoiled with the ECB in that there were no adjustments :D

Ah HA! So you need to go back and read all of the ol' Soldkick's questions about fire control now do ya! LOL

Congrats on the new smoker!

BTW, be careful how much salt is in your rub, don't wanna ruin a good bricket! (words FROM a true dumbshit :) )

Dave, another tip. The hondo has a weep hole in the end of the barrel opposite the firebox. See if your does. Plug that hole up and level the cooker, then dump a gallon or 2 of water in the bottom. i used a regular cork sliced to size. Helps even the heat a little, and gives ya the effect of the Banderas waterpan.

The hondo has a weep hole in the end of the barrel opposite the firebox. See if your does

Yep, it's got one -- acutally has a grease cup!

Here's some pics of the cooker and the "mods" I've done.
Namely, the baffle and the charcoal basket -- they ain't terribly elegant but they do work.

I'm going to try an aluminum water pan at the baffle (per the mods from the URL Solidkick passed along.

Happy smokin to you Dave. May the briskets and butts that you will soon be turning out fulfill all the dreams that you have had.

Thanks, Bill.

Merry Christmas to you and your family and to all the Brethren.

It's now 6:36 a.m. and the firebox is filled, the chimney is lit, the brisket is waiting
in the wings!!

The turkey frier is at the ready and oak smoke is scenting the air.

It's gonna be a great Christmas!! :D

Congrats Dave!

I had my Black Diamond for about 4 years and made my best Turkey in it. It was alot of work (no mods, pre brethren time). It also was my only charcoal grill for the 4 years I had it, mad some awsome grilled Q.

Happy Q'ing!

Back