Working on a brochure

T

The Wooden Pig

Three weeks ago we closed the doors on our restaurant The Wooden Pig Barbeque & Ice Cream. Catering was always a successful & huge part of our business so we decided to continue on as The Wooden Pig Barbeque Catering Company.:biggrin:
We kept the building since it has an approved kitchen and we'll be able to use the dining room for parties. It's a perfect setup for smaller events. Seating for 75+
Two weeks ago we catered for 500 over 3 shifts at a local company. Exhausting yes but a great success. :icon_clown
On with my point here...
In order to drum up business, I need to develop a brochure that is effective. I've started working on the framework for the brochure. It will include the following...
* A brief history of The Wooden Pig
* Detail 3 different meal options with add on choices as well.
* Reservations & Policy information
* Contact information etc.
Anything I'm missing? Suggestions, ideas...
Thanks
Tim

I would hire or find some other way to get Rick of Rick's Tropical Delight to come down and shoot a batch of pictures of my BBQ for the brochure. Selling the public on how great your 'cue is the main purpose of the brochure and I have rarely seen pictures of BBQ that make me want to eat BBQ more than Rick's.

I agree, pics are invaluable. I would also check with your local Chamber of Commerce, they may have some of those services available for low or no cost. I know ours has alot of those services for their members.

Get testimonials from past and current clients. Don't have to be long and drawn out but word of mouth is the best advertising, so put some in your brochure.
In the layout portion, make it flow and use color. Yes it is expensive to go full color, but color sells and makes you look more professional. Gloss paper stock is a nice touch as well. Doesn't need to be to heavy, but shouldn't be to light. Start looking at what other brochures are printed on and how they look and see what you like.
I am glad the catering side has remained. I was bummed when I read that you were closing and wasn't sure what direction you were going to take.
Good luck.

Layout of the brochure is very important. Use the back for your history, inside you can use the three sections to outline each of your menu options and include a picture in each column. On the extra back section you can include some more photos. Also, get a website up and running if you don't have one. This is a cheap way to get lots of great pics without paying for publishing/color copies. Ditto on talking to some previous clients and getting some testimonials or quotes to help the word of mouth. Good luck with the catering, hope it goes very very well for you. Mike

You got some excellent advice here. My brochure encompasses what has been mentioned above. I would post, but the document is too large.

Let me add my two cents in about marketing.

S Y N E R G Y

Brochures are important, they are usually the first contact you have with future business with your client when they take one or one is given to them. However, what is more important is branding. There is a theory out there called the trinity. In your case (and it has been successful for me) the brochure gives a link to a web site, the web site brands you further and so does your business card. 3 points of contact. The same pictures you have in your brochure should answer basic questions but a portion needs to draw people to your website where videos (hosted by youtube and embedded in your website for free) show people having a good time, show your food, maybe give a little recipe, show some customer accounts of your business... all those things that people want explained later.

More and more people are getting their info from the computer. Its called selling while you sleep, or cook, LOL.

Your business card should point them to the website, the brochure should point them to the website, and the website should call on the viewer to submit their address so that you can mail them an information package that has a brochure in it.

Sounds difficult but its not... heck use MY Space or Face Book at first. Buying your own webdomain costs roughly 30 for 2 years. The new business out there comes from the net... people are beginning to spend more time in front of the computer watching video than they are watching TV.

Why do you think I make the wild videos I do?

You, of course don;t need to go that far.... but a video of those people you just catered to would be priceless for anyone looking online for a caterer... when they see someone on video eating and having a good time... they PLACE themselves in their place... by the time they reach for the phone to call you they are already sold. Brochures are important... but deadly in combination with other media. Meaning the second contact is deadlier than the first.

PS any callers inquiring that you sell or don't sell, after you get their contact information, direct them to the website as well... it helps close the deal.

Three weeks ago we closed the doors on our restaurant The Wooden Pig Barbeque & Ice Cream. Catering was always a successful & huge part of our business so we decided to continue on as The Wooden Pig Barbeque Catering Company.:biggrin:
We kept the building since it has an approved kitchen and we'll be able to use the dining room for parties. It's a perfect setup for smaller events. Seating for 75+
Two weeks ago we catered for 500 over 3 shifts at a local company. Exhausting yes but a great success. :icon_clown
On with my point here...
In order to drum up business, I need to develop a brochure that is effective. I've started working on the framework for the brochure. It will include the following...
* A brief history of The Wooden Pig
* Detail 3 different meal options with add on choices as well.
* Reservations & Policy information
* Contact information etc.
Anything I'm missing? Suggestions, ideas...
Thanks
Tim

PS any callers inquiring that you sell or don't sell, after you get their contact information, direct them to the website as well... it helps close the deal.

let me add my two cents in about marketing.

S y n e r g y

brochures are important, they are usually the first contact you have with future business with your client when they take one or one is given to them. However, what is more important is branding. There is a theory out there called the trinity. In your case (and it has been successful for me) the brochure gives a link to a web site, the web site brands you further and so does your business card. 3 points of contact. The same pictures you have in your brochure should answer basic questions but a portion needs to draw people to your website where videos (hosted by youtube and embedded in your website for free) show people having a good time, show your food, maybe give a little recipe, show some customer accounts of your business... All those things that people want explained later.

More and more people are getting their info from the computer. Its called selling while you sleep, or cook, lol.

Your business card should point them to the website, the brochure should point them to the website, and the website should call on the viewer to submit their address so that you can mail them an information package that has a brochure in it.

Sounds difficult but its not... Heck use my space or face book at first. Buying your own webdomain costs roughly 30 for 2 years. The new business out there comes from the net... People are beginning to spend more time in front of the computer watching video than they are watching tv.

Why do you think i make the wild videos i do?

You, of course don;t need to go that far.... But a video of those people you just catered to would be priceless for anyone looking online for a caterer... When they see someone on video eating and having a good time... They place themselves in their place... By the time they reach for the phone to call you they are already sold. Brochures are important... But deadly in combination with other media. Meaning the second contact is deadlier than the first.

Ps any callers inquiring that you sell or don't sell, after you get their contact information, direct them to the website as well... It helps close the deal.

great advice that i plan to implement. Thank you!!!

Will you have to place a large bulk order on your brochures or will you be able to print them off as needed (or order in small batches)?

Smaller batches allow you to tweak your product descriptions/prices as needed. If you are going to place a high volume order for an expensive, slick paper, multicolor brochure you might consider a separate brochure "insert" with your pricing. This insert could be colored card stock xeroxed down at Kinko's...three inserts to the sheet.

Sometimes factors beyond your control can add to your advertising expense...about 20 years ago GTE decided to assign a new prefix to the phone numbers in the central part of our state...I had to scrap business cards, letterhead, magnetic door signs and so on. It probably didn't cost me more than $500 but it still was a bite!

Honey when I get to Texas and set up and plug my new website in... you're gonna have more help than you need. You guys have what it takes... I will help you out a lot... funkmaster west.

I wish y'all could have seen the way the battling harkers worked at a fair i did. Mista will fill you in... just ask him about the hillbilly and Funkmaster giving out samples and insulting each other with Mama and redneck jokes.

great advice that i plan to implement. Thank you!!!

Wonderful advice! Thanks to all.
From now on, both my digital camera and video camera well be with me at each and every event we do capturing those moments.
And yes, SYNERGY is key to success, I totally agree!!!

Let me add my two cents in about marketing.

S Y N E R G Y

Brochures are important, they are usually the first contact you have with future business with your client when they take one or one is given to them. However, what is more important is branding. There is a theory out there called the trinity. In your case (and it has been successful for me) the brochure gives a link to a web site, the web site brands you further and so does your business card. 3 points of contact. The same pictures you have in your brochure should answer basic questions but a portion needs to draw people to your website where videos (hosted by youtube and embedded in your website for free) show people having a good time, show your food, maybe give a little recipe, show some customer accounts of your business... all those things that people want explained later.

More and more people are getting their info from the computer. Its called selling while you sleep, or cook, LOL.

Sounds difficult but its not... heck use MY Space or Face Book at first. Buying your own webdomain costs roughly 30 for 2 years. The new business out there comes from the net... people are beginning to spend more time in front of the computer watching video than they are watching TV.

Why do you think I make the wild videos I do?

You, of course don;t need to go that far.... but a video of those people you just catered to would be priceless for anyone looking online for a caterer... when they see someone on video eating and having a good time... they PLACE themselves in their place... by the time they reach for the phone to call you they are already sold. Brochures are important... but deadly in combination with other media. Meaning the second contact is deadlier than the first.

u need me to patch something together let me know.. I can de-crazy my style too.

Back