• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

salmon recipe

bobaftt

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I am going to try some salmon on the grill tonight. Anyone have any recipe suggestions?

Plank cook it with an alder plank if you can get one and have time to soak it for 3-4 hrs.

Paul

Keep it simple. I put a LITTLE olive oil on it and cover the top with thinly sliced lemon.

I cook mine on a sheet of foil, makes getting it off the grill a snap and the skin usually sticks to the foil. The meat will separate from the skin with next to no effort.

I assume you are talking fillet. If whole, can't help you.

Sherry, olive oil, soy sauce, lemon juice plus the zest and garlic. Put it in a plastic bag with the salmon and grill.

Other wise a little olive oil, lemon, salt and favorite herb. I recommend dill or tarragon.

I use Alder which is a lot harder and denser than Cedar, so i think it takes longer to saturate. I also cook on fairly hot (375 -400) grill over lump charcoal and have pushed the "burn up" envelope a few times:-D

Paul

I'm good on or off the plank (as long as the skin is still on) I like Alder planks over cedar ones do a several hour soak myself. I keep a little squirt bottle handy in case those edges catch.

DSC04544a.jpg

This one had some fresh dill on it, but lemon slices work good too.

DSC04054a2.jpg

DO you heat the plank up first or does it all go on at the same time?

Yeah, I do. In fact I put the cooking side down for a couple of minutes, then oil it lightly when I turn it. Then let it heat about 4 or 5 minutes. I also oil the skin on the fish too.

The shorter the cook time on something, the longer I preheat the plank. For something like brie, I might let it go 10 minutes.

I use hickory planks on things like pork chops or tenderloins, and don't preheat them hardly at all as it takes 30 or 40 minutes for the whole cook.

I do the preheat and light oil rub also. The plank adds just enough smoke flavor without overpowering. But... it also insulates the food from the direct heat, so it is a lot like roasting. Ready made for the BGE. Never tried hickory Wayne-might have to give that i try. Cedar was way too strong for my tastes.

Paul

Yeah, I do. In fact I put the cooking side down for a couple of minutes, then oil it lightly when I turn it. Then let it heat about 4 or 5 minutes. I also oil the skin on the fish too.

The shorter the cook time on something, the longer I preheat the plank. For something like brie, I might let it go 10 minutes.

I use hickory planks on things like pork chops or tenderloins, and don't preheat them hardly at all as it takes 30 or 40 minutes for the whole cook.
Thanks for the tip!

I do the preheat and light oil rub also. The plank adds just enough smoke flavor without overpowering. But... it also insulates the food from the direct heat, so it is a lot like roasting. Ready made for the BGE. Never tried hickory Wayne-might have to give that i try. Cedar was way too strong for my tastes.

Paul

You gotta give hickory a try. The planks are the same price. I peppered and browned this tenderloin in garlic butter first and added fresh rosemary when it went to the cooker.

dsc03972aaL.jpg

Because of the longer cook times I only get 2 cooks out of the hickory, (usually 3 from the alder), but like all used planks, split them and use them for flavor wood in another cook.

I doubt this will make it in time for tonights cook...and being from Florida I am no salmon expert... but a nice filet with a heavy coating of Dizzy Pigs Raging River on a cedar plank has become my go to for salmon.

The salmon I got the most raves for was cedar planked with fancy mustard and brown sugar on top. Mmmmm - can almost taste it now!

The salmon I got the most raves for was cedar planked with fancy mustard and brown sugar on top. Mmmmm - can almost taste it now!

That reminds me of another one I did that was really good...

Dice shallots and saute lightly in butter. Add spicy brown mustard and maple syrup... keep warm. Cook salmon on cedar plank about 10-12 minutes. Glaze with mixture for the last 5 minutes or so. Pull salmon. Apply more glaze. Let rest for 5 minutes.

Sweet but VERY good.

Plank cook it with an alder plank if you can get one and have time to soak it for 3-4 hrs.

Paul

:confused:What is it you are soaking it in? Also, do you cook it over direct heat or indirect? Does the plank essentialy serve as the "smoke flavor", so no wood chunks or chips are necessary? And what are usual cook times?:confused: I LOVE THIS SITE!!!!! :razz: Thanks for the thread!

Here is how the Elders (well, my own twist on how the Elders cook on a plank).

Take a side of salmon. A 'lean' salmon like Coho works better than a 'fatty' salmon like Chinook. And never EVER use farm raised Atlantic salmon.

Make a rub of brown sugar, white sugar, salt and a bit of pepper.

Liberally rub the flesh side of the salmon with the dry ingredients and place in a glass dish (in my case - a LARGE glass dish) for about 12+ hours.

In the meantime, go out to the woods and get some cedar or alder. But since I don't live in Alaska any longer - I head to the local Home Depot for cedar.

Cut a length of wood to just fit onto the grill or fish (whatever is smaller) and soak.

Wash any remaining rub off of the salmon.

If using cedar from Home Depot instead of a SE Alaska rainforest - put the salmon skin side down on the non-splintered side of the plank.

Get the grill blazing hot, put the wet cedar & salmon on the grill and cover. If at a tailgate party, the smoking salmon will attract people from across UW Lot 60 or the Carousel Campground at Road America.

Dependinig upon the thickness of your filet - cooking time will be about 15-30 minutes.

n581721988_251475_8135.jpg

Back