• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

shelf life of wood

W

we'll smoke u

Ok I think this is were this should go if not move it to the right place.

Does wood have a shelf life. In other word does it lose it's smoke overtime.
I was talking to a guy that said it does. I know it gets old and roughts over time. But will it change in flavor or lose flavor.
I have some malberry that is three years old and I see know difference it to day then a year or two ago.
What's your opinion.
Thanks Scott

IMHO, the only way wood would lose anything would be if termite type bugs get into it and eat it up from inside...or if it already had a disease that continued to eat it up after it was cut.

I have heard guys say that fruit wood can loose some of it's special flavors after a few years but I have not noticed this, yet. I can tell you about my experience with mesquite though. I find that mesquite between two and five years old smells the best while burning and gives nice results on the meat. I recently took a trailer load of old mesquite from a rancher I know in Kingsville, Texas. This wood was 8-10 years old by his recollection, stacked in the full sun of south Texas and it was in fair condition. I culled all the wood taking only the best logs to split and smoked brisket and beef ribs. The flavor was fine but much more mild than 3 year old wood. It did not have that strong sweet/pungent smell that younger wood has.

So I guess that age does have an effect but not nessecerally a bad effect.

we'll smoke u said:

I was talking to a guy that said it does. I know it gets old and roughts over time. But will it change in flavor or lose flavor.
I have some malberry that is three years old and I see know difference it to day then a year or two ago.
What's your opinion.
Thanks Scott
I don't mean to go on an english/spelling tirade, but not being quite awake yet, and reading this post first, caused the left and the right side of my brain to collide like two trains meeting head on.

Need coffee...................

As long as that wood is not rotting, it's OK to use, IMHO.

BBQ Joe Man!!!! Hei, I dint' no we got ta spel good to be hears.
Get sum cofee, eez up.
Have a GREAT weekend!!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!!!

Know, you doen't hafe to spel goodly, oar uze propper grandmer, butt it shure hellps othears too bee abul too reed yur postts ezeir.

Sorry, I just gave myself a headache.

Oh yeah, I don't think wood is going to lose much flavor over time.

I love you Joe Man. You be funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Harbor Man,
I understand exactly what you mean. Good wood!!!!!!!!!
Smoke it up and PARTY DOWN.
Smoke On!!!!!!!!!

i go by the 2-3 year rule. 2-3 years for flavor, by its 3rd year, its just BTU's and a mild addition.

and i hapen to like the way he typ ess. :mrgreen:

Poobah is correct because by 2 to 3 years old there is very little moisture content left in the wood. The dry wood will burn very quickly giving off many BTU's but burns too fast to leave much flavor.

bbqjoe said:
I don't mean to go on an english/spelling tirade, but not being quite awake yet, and reading this post first, caused the left and the right side of my brain to collide like two trains meeting head on.

Hey Joe I'am a construction worker not a english teacher.LOL

p.s. Your suppose to think what I mean not what I spell. I think I siad that right.LOL

You know, this brings up a thing I saw awhile back on the internet but cannot recall it now. I'll have to do a more thorough Google later but the jist of it was that as long as the firt and last letter of a word is in the proper place, the human brain interprets it with little difficulty. I think it was a research thing done by a university and the entire paragraph describing this was written in that manner. The "wdros" in the entire paragraph were mispelled except for the placement of the 1st and last. It was quite interesting to read and realize that you were interpreting the entire paragragh of gorssly mispelled words.

Edit....

Here's a basic rundown that I found online for it. The original paragraph I saw was much more lenghty.

http://www.simplebits.com/notebook/2004/01/16/mipellssed_wdors.html

bbqjoe said:

Now that's funny. Scott must've had the same typing teacher in school our Poobah had.

spelling don't mean anything...a lot of the funny memories on this board have come from Bill or Phil misspelling something! post on brother.

BBQchef33 said:
i go by the 2-3 year rule. 2-3 years for flavor, by its 3rd year, its just BTU's and a mild addition.

He's right. Ever hickory will lose it's "favor" over a few years.

I have several ricks of hickory and next year any wood I have left from one of the ricks will go into the fireplace as firewood because it will then be over 3 years old.

I love this guy like hes my brother, oh he is.

we'll smoke u said:

What's your opinion.
Thanks Scott
Now that is funny!

Back