• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Anybody ever used avocado wood?

big brother smoke

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I just scored half a pick up worth of avocado wood! Anyone have any experience with this wood?

Damn, No one!

I guess no one has! I got a half of a pick up worth dropped off last night and was curious how stuff cooked with this wood is going to taste. I guess I will have to find out through trial and error.

BBS

big brother smoke said:
I guess no one has! I got a half of a pick up worth dropped off last night and was curious how stuff cooked with this wood is going to taste. I guess I will have to find out through trial and error.

BBS

I have never had the opportunity to cook with avacodo, but I suspect it will be like guava or other tropical fruit woods. A suggestion. Just burn some and see what kind of smoke it produces and how it smells, that will take you a long way toward evaluating it as a cooking wood.

I just looked avacodo up in Smoky Hale's book. He does not addresss it specifically, but says you can cook with any fruit, nut or berry wood. So it is just a matter of wheather you like the result or not. I think it will be a fairly mild smoke.

qman said:
I just looked avacodo up in Smoky Hale's book. He does not addresss it specifically, but says you can cook with any fruit, nut or berry wood. So it is just a matter of wheather you like the result or not. I think it will be a fairly mild smoke.

Qman,

Thanks for your thoughts! I was thinking along these lines and will let the bros no how it effects meat.

BBS

I can only tell you it is a good hard wood. When I lived in Santa Cruz, Bolivia we had an Avocado tree in the backyard. It was not very big and did not bear much fruit but it held a hammock without bending, no problem.

holy guacamole batman!

Avacado is NOT like guava...when avacado wood is dry it is pulpy and porous. Not same aroma or flavor. Not to great of smoke flavor...just burn some and smell it before trying with meat. Our avocado tree is home to a big tree house. Cut branches don't end up in my smoker. Only guava, kiawe, hickory, alder, pecan and oak go in there! Heeee!

Make sure you add lemon or lime juice to it before it turns brown

I use grapevine stumps alot just love the mild flavor they give
These fruit woods are great.

Greg Kemp said:
Avacado is NOT like guava...when avacado wood is dry it is pulpy and porous. Not same aroma or flavor. Not to great of smoke flavor...just burn some and smell it before trying with meat. Our avocado tree is home to a big tree house. Cut branches don't end up in my smoker. Only guava, kiawe, hickory, alder, pecan and oak go in there! Heeee!

hey Greg, Thanks. I knew you would chime in when you caught up to this thread. Question. Is kiawe the same as kiwi? Like in kiwi fruit.

always got wood!

jgh1204 said:
I dont think Greg will ever post much so that his title always says, "got wood".

Greg, what is the brethren price for a box of guava these days?

hee hee! How many more posts before I gradurate to the higher eschelon anyways...?

Hey...those ARE Brethren prices! and no kiawe (hawaiian mesquite) is not the same as kiwi qman but I love kiwi fruit!

Greg Kemp said:
hee hee! How many more posts before I gradurate to the higher eschelon anyways...?

Hey...those ARE Brethren prices! and no kiawe (hawaiian mesquite) is not the same as kiwi qman but I love kiwi fruit!

Greg, at 50 posts you go to the next level. Din't u get your decoder ring?

jgh1204 said:
Greg needs his own title, "Got Guava"
How about "I'm in Hawaii and you're not"?

Back