Chili Mussels Recipe (not Q)

buccaneer

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
2kg mussels, cleaned and de bearded.
Mythbuster warning: toss any that are open, and any that are not closed firmly as you de beard.
Do NOT toss ones that don't open during cooking, eat them as they are the freshest.

Parsley
Lemon
1/2 cup dry white wine.
Chili
500g roma tomatoes, use half canned and half fresh if possible, diced
15g butter
2-4 Tbs good Olive Oil
Tbs smoked paprika
handful fresh basil leaves
2 tsp dried oregano
Tbs chopped chilies of choice
2 Tbs tomato concentrate(paste)
1 large onion, diced finely
3 cloves garlic diced finely
Heat oil and butter in a pan, and add onions, simmer gently 5 minutes, add garlic and chilies and stir, simmer a couple more minutes but do not let onions color.
Sir in the tomato paste and simmer till it melts and cooks out.Add paprika, basil.
Add half the wine and sir the sauce loose and add the tomatoes and stir well.
Let simmer 40 minutes, then taste and season with salt and pepper.
In a separate pot, get hot on high heat and add the wine and mussels, cover and swirl the pot for a minute, let cook till the mussels have steamed open, just a minute or two should do.
Crack the lid and strain off the liquid, put the pot back on the heat and pour in the tomato chili sauce mixture and fold GENTLY through.
Squeeze half a lemon over it and serve with added fresh parsley and crusty bread.

:yo:

Very very nice. Mussels are easily one of my favorite thing to eat and I would hit that very hard.

Makes me wish for a source of FRESH, and I mean FRESH, molluscs here in landlocked Tennessee...

Excellent, nothing like a big bowl of mussels and some crusty bread to sop up the juice.

We have another Northeast snow storm to deal with shortly, some indoor cooking idea's are very welcomed. That looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Excellent! I like the chili spin! We use a lot of onions, leeks and garlic with dried chili's gotta give this recipe a run!

Looks killer Bucc! .....and I mean that in a good way! :mrgreen:

I'm gonna need a bottle of chardonnay next to that!
Yummm!

That is EXACTLY what we had with it....now get your stalker cams outta our kitchen!
Come over for some grub instead, bring Dennessey and Padawan!:biggrin1:

Back