Smoking meat with a trailer mounted smoker

MothersBBQ

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I was curious to know how you guys smoked your meats with a trailer mounted smoker? Do you show up at the site in the wee hours of the morning and start smoking or do you smoke it ahead and finish it off on site? What is the process?

Thanks

Depends on the local HD rules and/or when the venue will let you in. I see you are one county south of me so you face the same issues I do. Technically, you either prep or cook on-site, or prep and cook in a commercial kitchen, hot hold and serve on-site. I have tried to get into several events to vend in the 15-215 corridor but they wont let me set up early enough to meat at proper on-site cook times. I have done a couple local vends where I cooked at "off-site", hot held, took the smoker to the event and put the meat back on. HD inspector didnt specifically ask where I prepped and cooked, just made sure I was equipped to prep and cook on-site. If he knew the cook time for pork butt and did the math, my goose would of been cooked. Maybe he followed the dont ask, dont tell rule? I know I did.

Based on some emails with the SD county HD on some catering I have done down there they are a little more relaxed than Riv. County. Not much but a little.

Thanks for the reply. I was curious because I would like to get into it as a part time gig.(Maybe 1-2 times a month). I want to do it right and not get in trouble. :razz:

Like the others have said, it depends on the HD and the venue. For us, we cook the large meats (butts and brisket) at our commercial kitchen, then hot hold until we get to the venue. All other items are prepped at the commercial kitchen, then cooked on site. We get to most events 3+ hours ahead of time.

Back