how long should you add wood to the smoker

Pigdog.12

Found some matches.
Reaction score
At what point do you quite adding wood when smoking Beef, Pork and Chicken or do you keep adding it the whole time? have only smoked 1 brisket and it didn't seem smoky enough. I'm using an Smokin it electric smoker.

I have a backwoods smoker, and I just mix the wood in different places to offer smoke through out cook, but I have heard that at 160 it no longer takes on smoke.

At what point do you quite adding wood when smoking Beef, Pork and Chicken or do you keep adding it the whole time? have only smoked 1 brisket and it didn't seem smoky enough. I'm using an Smokin it electric smoker.
I have an electric and i added chips every 15-30 min, but you will find you will not get a real smokey flavor from an electric, that said you can turn out good que from an electric.

i cook on weber WSM's i give 2 hours of good steady smoke.

but i like a ligth kiss of smoke.

it all depends on how you like it . But i do stop at three hours

I have a Humphrey's Smoker, I just mix 4-5 fist sized chunks of wood in different places to generate smoke through out cook.

Thanks for the advise. I'm new and I appreciate the help. can't wait until I have enough experience to help others!!

Hey pigdog. Didn't know there were others with th name

I use the Puff Daddy method: stand a split up in the middle of the basket and pour some briq's in around it. Dump a half a chimney of lit coals on top. Works as good as any other method I've tried and saves the PITA of splitting and cutting wood up into "fist sized chunks."

Meat generally accepts smoke for about the first three hours of the cook, after that you're going for color and bark production. Some people even go ahead and wrap after three or four hours to maximize moisture retention but you will sacrifice bark as a result. So if you're cooking with charcoal and using the minion method you could probably just add enough wood to the beginning of the cook to last the three hour window and then go to strait charcoal afterward.

i have a smokin-it#2 I usually put 3 chuncks in the begining and then if i need too I add on or two later on, like 2-4 hours in.

i usually put about 8 to 10 24-30 inch sticks in my stickburner for a 6-8 hour cook.. i continually add them.. throughout the duration of my cook. In my stickburner this is the main source of heat for the cooker. Charcoal won't do it.. in my case

I always went until meat reached 140. After that you're just wasting wood. And you never want to waste good wood.:))

Back