Sad News - Organizer Passing

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
It is with deep sadness that I relay the passing of Marvin Rembo.

Marvin was the organizer of the LI Kosher BBQ Championships. It seems that he passed last night.

For those of you that were able to attend last years event, it was apparent that Marvin was talented, passionate and gifted. I've said to many people that it was the best first year event that I've ever seen. Marvin gathered a strong core group around him and ran a wonderful contest. They donated a great deal of money to an interfaith organization that feeds the hungry.

I worked with Marvin pretty closely prior to the first event, getting judges, explaining how BBQ events work and acting as a resource. He was always kind and congenial, often concerned that I didn't feel like an outsider as a Catholic amidst Jews. His concern wasn't warranted, as everyone associated with the event was as friendly as could be, but it was greatly appreciated and speaks to the man he was.

He was funny, self effacing, efficient, inquisitive, kind and a true 'BBQ guy'.

I don't know how this impacts this years contest (on Sunday), but I will post again when I have more information.

Eric

I was just informed that this weekend's event will continue as planned.

It's a testament to Marvin's planning and organizational skills that I'm sure the event will go smoothly and with great success.

Eric

Sorry to hear this sad news, I met and spoke with Marvin a couple of times and he was a great guy. I know he would have wanted the event to go on as planned and it is good that it will.

Back