• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Curing a ham

Having trouble finding Instacure #1 (pink salt). Grrr

Sent from my pocket computer ( G III)

You an order it on Amazon
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_9?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=instacure+no+1&sprefix=Instacure%2Caps%2C179"]Amazon.com: instacure no 1[/ame]

I've also had luck before at a local butcher shop which cures their own meats. You could also call the butcher who's carving the hog and seeing if they have any.

you can sub out TQ but you will also have to remove some of the salt (if using my recipe). Try calling a butcher shop that makes their own sausage or whole foods or a restaurant supply place.

It's also not totally required if you can't find it. You won't get that nice pink color but flavor shouldn't be affected. At least this is what I was told by my butcher.

It's also not totally required if you can't find it. You won't get that nice pink color but flavor shouldn't be affected. At least this is what I was told by my butcher.

All my butcher had was TQ and it was expensive. I didn't think it would be this hard to find. O want that ponk color, but now I can't even find TQ (butcher is an hour away).

I must be looking in the wrong places. I'm at Target, , in the spices isle, by the salts (iodized, kosher & pickling) but no "curing salt"...not even TQ

Here is another idea. If you have amazon prime, buy this tonight and u will have it by Friday.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Instacure-Slow-Cooking-Meats-pound/dp/B001UPRY1W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363823930&sr=8-1&keywords=cure%231"]Amazon.com: Instacure #1 for Slow Cooking Meats 1 pound: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

Yeah this stuff is a pita to get locally, hence why i always have some at home. Buy the pound, it will last u forever lol

I've done a lot of hams, but last Christmas, I wet cured a fresh ham with this recipe and it was THE BEST ham I've ever had. The family LOVED it.

The recipe is straight out of the book Charcuterie:

American Style Brown Sugar Glazed Holiday Ham

The Brine:

1 gallon water
1-1/2 cups Kosher Salt
2 Packed cups dark brown sugar
1-1/2 ounces of pink salt (Sodium Nitrite)
One 12-15lb with skin and Aitch Bone removed

The Glaze:

1-1/2 cups of dark brown sugar
3/4 cups dijon mustard
1 tablespoon of mince Garlic

Recipe:

Combine all the brine ingredients in a container large enough to hold the ham. Stir to dissolve all the salt and sugar.
Submerge ham in the brine. Weight it down if necessary to keep it fully submerged for 6-8 days (half a day per lb)
Remove ham and rinse thoroughly under cool water. pat dry and place on rack and refrigerate for 12-24 hours to dry.
Smoke the ham at 200 for 2 hours (I used apple and it was awesome)
Meanwhile, mix the brown sugar, Dijon, and garlic in a bowl until smooth. Brush the ham and reserve the remainder.
Continue to smoke the ham at 200 until it reaches internal temp of 155 (4-5 more hours for me)
remove the ham and brush with remaining glaze.
Refrigerate or eat warm right off the pit. We reheated ours and it was unreal. best ham I've ever had and all 20 people that had it agreed. It was destroyed in minutes.

Unfrigging believable. Spent most of my day trying to hunt down some instacure #1, and I'm officially calling "No joy".

The list of unsuccessful stops I made today include;

Smart & Final (got a bucket tho)
Stator Bros
Local carnaceria
Bass Pro
Target
Turner's Outdoors
Walmart
Vons

The bummer is that I now won't have an Easter ham, yet i have a pig leg sitting in my fridge. I hope this thread serves a lesson to some one else in the future to get all of their supplies ahead of time.

there's time, myspicesage will get it to you quick. mine just came i'm a bit behind too. it'll still be great though.

Unfrigging believable. Spent most of my day trying to hunt down some instacure #1, and I'm officially calling "No joy".

The list of unsuccessful stops I made today include;

Smart & Final (got a bucket tho)
Stator Bros
Local carnaceria
Bass Pro
Target
Turner's Outdoors
Walmart
Vons

The bummer is that I now won't have an Easter ham, yet i have a pig leg sitting in my fridge. I hope this thread serves a lesson to some one else in the future to get all of their supplies ahead of time.

Where are you in SoCal? There may be a Bretheren in your neighborhood that can hook you up? Put out an APB in Qtalk.

Last edited:
Where are you in SoCal? There may be a Bretheren in your neighborhood that can hook you up? Put out an APB in Qtalk.

I'm in Norco, aka Horsetown, USA. Its no use though. I needed to get it done tonight as I'm a fireman and have to work a 24 hr shift tomorrow. So I won't be able to start it curing until Friday. Not trying to sound like a whiner. Its just how it is. This ham is a beast, weighing in at 22 lbs (whole/untrimmed). So it wouldn't be ready for Easter.

Oh well, I can always fall back on the old stand by, the Leg of Lamb. Always a hit...

Get it from amazon and still cure it. Cut it down into two 11lb pieces and u will still have ample time for the cure.

Back