Brisket question i havent found an answer to...plz help

N

Noob

Just spent all day reading every thread in this Brisket Bible....however i have a question that went unanswered.

This weekend I am taking a stab at a 12.9lb choice brisket. I invested in the pink butcher paper that Aaron Franklin uses. I am going to wrap at 5-6 hrs depending on internal temps but i was wanting to know if i can finish the brisket in the oven for another 5-6 hours wrapped in butcher paper.

I am certain i do not want to use foil paper. Can i put a pan with some water under a paper wrapped brisket in the oven?

If i MUST maintain a fire for 12+ hours, i will. This is my 3rd cook in my hondo offset and 5-6hours at 225° is no problem, i am just nervous about 12+

That's a very common end... finishing in the oven. Use a roasting pan - with a raised grate... no problem.
The 225 temp is not a hard rule - there are so many variations. If you do decide on low and slow--- it will take over 12 hours.
Meat gets wrapped to preserve the deep mahogany color - let that be your measuring stick when to wrap.

Good luck... one suggestion; we love pictures!

up here is mass when I don't want to smoke for 12hrs - outside in the snow and cold. I finish in the oven all the time. Like the BBQ bandit says use a pan and raise the meat w/ a grate

Definitely can finish in the oven. I've done it when I run out of charcoal in the smoker and don't want to reload.

And cook at 250* - 275*. That's what Franklin does. I've got that first hand out of his mouth.

But the million dollar.question and the last thing i need answered is, can i wrap and finish in the oven withPink butcher paper?

I wasnt going to finish in oven but now i am confident i can. I just need an ok that wrapping in paper would yeild good results.

Franklin cooks at 300 on is pits and so do I. I wrap at 4-5 hrs my average time to probe tender is 6.5 hrs total cook time.

Just spent all day reading every thread in this Brisket Bible....however i have a question that went unanswered.

This weekend I am taking a stab at a 12.9lb choice brisket. I invested in the pink butcher paper that Aaron Franklin uses. I am going to wrap at 5-6 hrs depending on internal temps but i was wanting to know if i can finish the brisket in the oven for another 5-6 hours wrapped in butcher paper.

I am certain i do not want to use foil paper. Can i put a pan with some water under a paper wrapped brisket in the oven?

If i MUST maintain a fire for 12+ hours, i will. This is my 3rd cook in my hondo offset and 5-6hours at 225° is no problem, i am just nervous about 12+

225 is going to take 24 hrs, I'm guessing. You are in for a long haul, brother.

I've never used paper, only foil.

I'd advise waiting until after the stall before wrapping.

If you're gonna wrap it won't take 24 hours at 225. I cook at 250 and wrap after 6 hours (with foil) and I cook 12-14 pounders to 195 in typically 12 hours

@NOOB is 225 the highest temp you can maintain? Have you moded your hondo, like a baffle plate coming off the fire box so you don't burn your meat? You can cook brisket at a much higher temp then that magic 225 number and everyone will love you. Think of a smoker AS a oven and brisket as a roast, what are the temps that they usually call for 325 -350 for most roast.......

Sent from my SGH-T999

Finishing it in the oven will actually speed up the cooking time. Remember in the oven , you have compressed heat and not a lot of heat leakage.

@NOOB is 225 the highest temp you can maintain? Have you moded your hondo, like a baffle plate coming off the fire box so you don't burn your meat? You can cook brisket at a much higher temp then that magic 225 number and everyone will love you. Think of a smoker AS a oven and brisket as a roast, what are the temps that they usually call for 325 -350 for most roast.......

Sent from my SGH-T999

I said 225 out of habit of saying 225-250. More realistically it hovers around 250

I said 225 out of habit of saying 225-250. More realistically it hovers around 250

Are you going on a digital thermometer grate level or a lid thermometer? Texan to Texan, I never got the result I wanted until I stated cooking at 300+ if you can maintain a higher temp I highly recommend it, but try it another time you've already thought this some what out. You'll be fine taking it to the oven if you don't want to manage a fire for 12+ I don't blame ya. Wrap the brisket tight in the butcher paper and place it on a roasting rack or even a sheet pan until prob tender(like a hot knife going in butter) like GrillsGoneWild said it's going to cook quicker.

Trust me when I say this, you would rather have a over cooked brisket then under cooked, a lot of people get their brisket up in the 205* internal and they think there done they pull them and rest them and slice and it seems dry(under cooked), it is a feel thing the quicker you learn this the less money you'll spend figuring it out. Good luck brotha I'm sure you'll do fine, no mater what share it with us we love all BBQ:becky:

Yes, you can finish the brisket, in paper, in the oven up to temperatures as high as 325F for certain. You must put a pan under the brisket, I put it on the rack under the rack the meat is on, as the paper can leak, and it is a huge mess to clean up in an indoor oven.

smoke your brisket in a pan with a small meat rack in the bottom so it sits above it's juices, when you pull it. Wrap the pan with foil, add a tad of apple juice in the pan, and finish in the oven. When you pull it out of the oven leave it as is, put on the counter, and put a thick towel or a couple towels on top of the foil for a minimum of an hour, more preferably. Use the juices to make a dipping sauce.

OR YOU CAN DO IT HOT AND FAST LIKE I DO IT IN MY SIGNATURE.

Its been in the smoker for 7 hrs. Time for the oven. Gonna put it at 300°....does that sound right?

Back