Building a stick burner

Great lookin start!
Here are a couple of shots of how I handled my tuning plates. First a shot of the rig for perspective. I built it so I can do reverse flow or a traditional offset; in retrospect I do mostly reverse flow.
001_zps6ce9c2d4.jpg
[/IMG]
Next, the tuning plates set up for reverse flow. I had my steel shop cut the plates on a shear so they would fit together tightly. Each tuning plate is 17X6X1/4". The deflector and first tuning plate is welded in in place.
image_zps22e301ec.jpg
[/IMG]
Last shot, the tuning plates spread out a little for traditional offset flow.
image_zpsb438d255.jpg
[/IMG]
Good luck with the build.

dwfisk and nra4life thanks for the build pics
I can't figure out how to measure my inlet opening from the fb to the cc, I want to do a half moon the inlet opening has to be 15.77” and the opening area has to be 97.71, but how do I figure out how to measure the opening for both tanks.
Thanks the kid

dwfisk and nra4life thanks for the build pics
I can't figure out how to measure my inlet opening from the fb to the cc, I want to do a half moon the inlet opening has to be 15.77” and the opening area has to be 97.71, but how do I figure out how to measure the opening for both tanks.
Thanks the kid

Here is what I would try, based on how I did mine.
1) Level and square both tanks in the relative alignment they will be in when finished (i.e. your FB tank about 16" up from the bottom of the CC).
2) Use a straight edge or level and sharpie to scribe a line representing the top radius of the FB tank.
3) Decide how far the FB tank will penetrate to CC tank (I did about 6"). A this depth from the end of the CC tank, mark the top radius line you just drew front & back.
4) Use masking tape to connect these endpoints and use it as a guide to mark with the sharpie.
5) Now you should have a line representing the top radius of the FB tank and where to make the bottom cut. DOES IT LOOK RIGHT & TEST MEASURE AGAIN?
6) If yes, cut out the CC tank and test fit.
7) At this point you have not made a cutout on the FB tank. You might be able to use the curvature of the FB tank as part of the deflector. I would mark where I want my deflector to end and where my baffle/tuning plates will sit (hopefully using the end curvature of the FB tank). This should be a horizontal line across the end of the FB tank and you can use the recently cut CC tank to scribe the remainder to the cutout of the FB tank.

Caution, after reading this I've decided I ain't that great at explaining geometry. It ain't like I can get my hands on it - IF IT DON'T LOOK RIGHT, DON'T CUT!

Thanks dwfisk
Ill try that tonight after I get off work hope to have the legs done and standing tonight
Thanks again

Well it's finally standing
Now to cut out the doors and fb openings, ill try to take more pictures I just don't think of it till I'm done for the night
IMAG0236.jpg

After a much needed ice fishing trip, started working on her againt, cutout the FB inlet then Welded the FB to the Cook chamber
IMAG0244.jpg

IMAG0247.jpg

Got the FB door measured and cut out
IMAG0249.jpg

IMAG0251.jpg

Then I found feet for it in works scrap bin now she'll be level where ever it's at
Resampled952013-02-199522-25-5495941.jpg

Resampled952013-02-199522-26-1895297.jpg

My only question is... is the firebox large enough to feed that cooker. Pics can be deceiveing. It looks really small. I am not being critical at all you have a nice cooker going it is only an observation

Hopefully it is:pray: I used that bbq pit calculater so as long as I put the right info in it should be. But everythings going together so nicely it should be done soon. But l don't want to rush it. it'll be a month till warm weather around here anyway, so ill take my time.

Tuning plates are metal plates in the bottom that let you direct the heat where you want it. I hope someone chimes in cause Im not good at explaining things

Firebox looks a little thin.. make sure when you get her done... always to clean the ashes out of her.. it will help it last longer!

Not sure what a tuning plate is? Is it like building a reverse flow, but with holes throughout?

Tuning plates are sort of like a Reverse flow plate with gaps in it to allow the heat/smoke to come thru between the gaps.. they are ideal on traditional offset smokers because it helps even out the tempurature across the smoking chamber.

Tuning plates are sort of like a Reverse flow plate with gaps in it to allow the heat/smoke to come thru between the gaps.. they are ideal on traditional offset smokers because it helps even out the tempurature across the smoking chamber.

Thanks downhome, glade you could explane it

Back