• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Oklahoma joe longhorn baffle

I called Horizon about the age of mine. They were not certain but think it was around 22 years old. Yours seems to be putting out some good que! The cook looks awesome...

OK, I looked at the dimensions of the New Horizon plates on their website and and made a wooden mock-up of the standard one. It appears to fit my Klose 20x48, so I went ahead and ordered it. I will test it when it arrives without, with, and with plus a 1"-2" gap. Results to be posted here.

When I built my stick burner, I wanted to option of a traditional offset or a reverse flow. So, I had my metal shop cut some tuning plates on their shear - the shear cuts are smooth an let me adjust them with no gap, or space them at increasing widths across the smoker. Mine were about 17" deep and I had a variety of widths cut. With the welded in diverter plate at the firebox it works well and downsizing a little might fit you needs.

When I built my stick burner, I wanted to option of a traditional offset or a reverse flow. So, I had my metal shop cut some tuning plates on their shear - the shear cuts are smooth an let me adjust them with no gap, or space them at increasing widths across the smoker. Mine were about 17" deep and I had a variety of widths cut. With the welded in diverter plate at the firebox it works well and downsizing a little might fit you needs.
That's a good idea!

Hey Dan I have the same offset. Fixing to make my own plate. Any hoo, put your grill grate in your fire box as if you are going to grill something and stick a pan of water on it. You get some nice water smoking from it.

That's a good idea!

Not original, in fact I found the idea on this forum looking at other stick burner builds & designs. I don't want to clutter up your post but let me know if a pic or two would help. I'm actually thinking of trying to pick up a 1/4" OJ Longhorn doing this mod and maybe moving the exhaust stack to make it a reverse flow (for my oldest son; graduating vet school in May & movin out on his own).

After a 4 hr seasoning run in which I mapped out my new Trailmaster LE it was evident that it needed a baffle. I had a huge hot spot like a 200 deg difference that ran 1/3 of the pit. I built a Horizon style plate for it in about about 1hr. It made a huge difference in temp control as well as evening out the grate temps. I now have 2 zones the first 12"are 100 deg hotter and dead even the rest of the way to the stack. So it's perfect for chicken on the FB side and everything else on the rest of the grate.

The newer OK Joe's are made in China. The steel is 12 or 13 gauge, a hair under 1/8".

BluDawg, what gauge plate did you use for your convection plate? I know the ones Horizon sells are 3/16" thick.

Okay, after some monkeying around, and some brute force, I got it to fit.
here are some pics. The one with my finger pointing is where I was having some trouble getting the grills to fit, but they are in now.

Take yer handy dandy hack saw and remove the offending long grate rod and clean up the edges of the cross rods with a file.
Ed

Take yer handy dandy hack saw and remove the offending long grate rod and clean up the edges of the cross rods with a file.
Ed

Too much work - break out the Die Grinder cut it off then put scuzzy wheel on and smooth it out......... :wink:

Back