Free score/ new project

Militant83

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Here is a score I picked up today for free......... This will be my new project for me and my dad.. eventually it will be a trailer set up. Once I begin the project I will begin to document it in its own thread as the build goes on.

483582_10151331063070659_775752886_n.jpg

ive got access to a stick welder and a mig welder. To the guys who have built pits or experience in welding which one would be the easiest for the beginner welder?

ive got access to a stick welder and a mig welder. To the guys who have built pits or experience in welding which one would be the easiest for the beginner welder?

Nice.. i was a Beginner welder with my build and i liked the stick welder... but disclaimer.. i have never used a MIG Welder.. LOL so... :doh:

We used to say, if you can weld use the stick, if ya can't use the mig :-D:-D:-D
I would say the mig is better if you are a beginner.

We used to say, if you can weld use the stick, if ya can't use the mig :-D:-D:-D
I would say the mig is better if you are a beginner.

MIG is definitely easier/faster to me but agree with DJnKY, I learned w/ stick but never seem to grab that first.

mig is EASIER, but if you are a beginner, I would suggest you spend some time under the hood and at least get a feel for stick BEFORE you try the mig. Reason I say that is with you being a beginner if you try the mig first and get a hang for it then stick welding will be a more difficult learn. Once you're used to mig it will be harder for you to learn the techniques necessary to maintain the correct arc length because the mig feeds the electrode for you and with stick, you have to control the arc length manually and if a weld is longer than your rod is capable of welding then you have to learn to tie in. In mig, if you stop it is easier to tie in but stick welding takes practice to learn how to tie in and it look nice.

Whether you choose to build using mig or stick I can promise you a good angle grinder will be your friend. :) Angle grinders are just as necessary to a weldor as a welding machine is.

Back