Shoulder Clod versus Steamship Round?

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Ok, so I did a little googling and came up with shall we say, a lack of consensus on this topic. So a couple questions:

1) Are they different cuts? Steamship = round and Clod = shoulder (chuck?)
2) Can the clod be cooked low n slow and have similar results to brisket?

I saw an episode with Raichlen cooking a clod for ~12 hours and it looked somwhat like a brisket when it was done, albeit a dry one. It kind of crumbled when he sliced it, not at all like the carved steamship style roast beef we get at a buffet etc.

Anyways, was thinking of trying one or the other for a large get together so any tips shall be appreciated.

-Jason

I'm not sure about question 1, but I have cooked a clod I picked up at restaurant depot. It was big around 18lbs I think so I cut it in half and smoked it like a butt for pulled beef. Was pretty darn good. I took it to about 195ish and was able to pull it apart easy so I'm not sure if you would get slices out of it at that temp. Others may have though.

I did a 15# clod for my grandaughter birthday yesterday it turn out good . Matter of fact I do them insted of briskets They also a fairly cheap cut of meat.

I have seen more idiots screw up a million clods by following instructions on the internet.

Briskets cannot do what clods do while clods can do what briskets and clods do.

When I used to do them the proper way people thought it was farking prime damn rib.

The clod is a cut above the shoulder or chuck. It may or may not include the neck.
Steamship round is the entire hind leg of a beef including the top and bottom rounds and the shank.
Since the clod is from that front shoulder and neck area it has lots of fat and collagen so it is a great piece of meat to do low and slow.

I have seen more idiots screw up a million clods by following instructions on the internet.

Briskets cannot do what clods do while clods can do what briskets and clods do.

When I used to do them the proper way people thought it was farking prime damn rib.

and the proper way would be?????

Clod responds well to being cooked like BBQ, cooking until it renders out and becomes tender similar to a chuck, but, on a larger scale.

Steamship round is much more of a roast beef type of cut, and is often the choice of buffets, as you can get many levels of done, off of one roast. But, it really toughens above 140F.

The title of your post answers your own question.

Shoulder = front of cow

Round = back of cow.

So no, they aren't even close to the same cut.

I think PT is saying he prefers to cook the clod like a prime rib instead of a BBQ style roast. You wouldn't cook a prime rib past med rare would you?

I thought a clod was a person who would have to learn ettiquette just to elevate himself to the title of hardened mass of dirt.

Shoulder Clod / Chuck is fantastic low and slow and pulled, but you'd never do that with a round. Last one I did was 22 hours on the WSM. Foiled at 165 in a broth until 205F. Whole thing fell apart and was so tender. You can use the leftovers for adding to a chili.

Cheers!

Bill

I give up

But then all the trees and the grass would die.

So PMT ...if I have my read-between-the-lines-eyes working today. You recommend cooking one of them there clods JUST LIKE A PRIME RIB!?!?!?

Per chance do you have videographic evidence illuminating those of us in the photon challenged area as to how it turns out. Any tips and or trixx?

As you know, I'm all ears on most stuff (cept lets don't talk religion and politics) ....come on hit me with what you got. I can take it!

But then all the trees and the grass would die.

So PMT ...if I have my read-between-the-lines-eyes working today. You recommend cooking one of them there clods JUST LIKE A PRIME RIB!?!?!?

Per chance do you have videographic evidence illuminating those of us in the photon challenged area as to how it turns out. Any tips and or trixx?

As you know, I'm all ears on most stuff (cept lets don't talk religion and politics) ....come on hit me with what you got. I can take it!

Why would you ask Donny? He was only Popdaddy's butler anyway....

Back