Essential ECB Brinkmann Gourmet Smoker Mods

Excellent post. Now I want to get my old Brinkman from my FIL just so I can mod it.

I modded mine off of daytripper's blog. I did eventually add a uds style fire basket that made it ROCK! If you are a tinkerer, gourmets, or the new Lowe's knock off make great little smokers. Very efficient when done right.

Chili002.jpg

Picnic006.jpg

It loves running at 250-300

Last edited:
ECB Mods - Questions...

For some reason I can't see the pictures from your original post. Is there a way that you could possibly send them to me? Also, I did some mods on my ECB over the weekend but have yet to cook on it. I added the stove rope and it looks like it'll seal in the heat a lot better. Question: does your lid fully close, or does it just sit on the rope now? Also, I was looking to add a silicon grommet on the side so that I can slide a digital thermometer in without crimping the cable on the lid. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to put the grommet? Also, if anyone needs one or two, I have a lot left.

Thanks for the help!

For some reason I can't see the pictures from your original post. Is there a way that you could possibly send them to me? Also, I did some mods on my ECB over the weekend but have yet to cook on it. I added the stove rope and it looks like it'll seal in the heat a lot better. Question: does your lid fully close, or does it just sit on the rope now? Also, I was looking to add a silicon grommet on the side so that I can slide a digital thermometer in without crimping the cable on the lid. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to put the grommet? Also, if anyone needs one or two, I have a lot left.

Thanks for the help!

here is a link to my mods on the brinkman gourmet. i based mine off of daytriprs blog as well. pics here as well.
http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23257

As for the lid, mine fully sets down and the fire rope is tight to the gap between the smoker body and lid. when you mark where you mount your fire rope, you want to do it with the lid tight on the smoker. then mark where the gap is and rough the paint around the lid and mount the fire rope with a couple sheet metal screws to hold it in place and then go back with Red RTV Silicon and seal the rope to the lid.

As for the grommet----i would recommend mounting it on the side just below the top grate---this will allow you to feed the temp probe to both cooking grates.

Thanks for the help!

MY original photos? That's odd.....they're photobucket pics so you should be able to see them. PM me and I can try another way perhaps.

My lid does close. It sits on top of the rope, but there's still a portion of the lid that sticks below the rope and fits inside the barrel too. I don't use a grommet. I have the holes in my lid so I can just put a probe down through them if needed, but I don't usually fart with thermos much anymore, even on the drum. For me, it's more about feel than temp.

Thanks for all of the tips

Just wanted to say thank you for all of the tips. We picked up a Brinkmann Gourmet over the weekend, made the recommended mods and turned out a great pork butt and smoked chicken.

Thank you!

Just wanted to say thank you for all of the tips. We picked up a Brinkmann Gourmet over the weekend, made the recommended mods and turned out a great pork butt and smoked chicken.

Thank you!

Cool :thumb:

P0rn heavy

Just to add to this thread. Mine is a bit different, came back from being on loan for a few years so I snapped a few pics, then it went back out on loan to another friend. This thing will smoke for 18 hrs untouched even in 30 MPH winds. I did not use water, never found a need. If I was doing it again, I would use bolts for legs on the racks. Makes it a lot easier to lift the grates in/out without tipping and now you can rotate the grates easier as they have legs to set the grates down on. IMHO

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/13/abg6.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Also a expanded metal ring to hold coals for searing on the top rack

Back