Is there a class on how to build a “Turn-in box”?

bearnakedbbq

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Is there a class on how to build a “Turn-in box”?

I am not happy with my turn-in boxes. I have only been in 8 competitions, so I am sure overtime my skills will improve. I must say I don’t practice at home and should be, but like golf or any other sports I have participated in I have taken a class to improve my skills. I’ll add my own touch once I learn the basics.

Currently I have only used the parsley bed when turning in. Box looks great until I add the food then it’s all over the place.

Here is what I do: I cut the stock off ½ from the top. Take 2 to 4 of them and twist together and place in box. Do this until the box if full.

Forgot to add, the night before I cut off the stem (towards the bottom) and place in water to hopefully allow them to drink some water.

So are there some basics that I need to understand or it is really just a matter of practicing? So has anyone ever used Cilantro in the boxes?

There are lots of classes on competition BBQ that I believe cover cooking and building boxes.

If you want to do it on the cheap, go to bbqcritic.com. There are lots of good (and bad) examples on there, and CBJs who give their opinions on why they like or don't like what they're seeing.

Try cutting some iceberg lettuce slices and putting them in the bottom as a base.

The parsley stems will lock into the lettuce and stand up.

My wife does my boxes and they are as flat as a pane of glass.

Try cutting some iceberg lettuce slices and putting them in the bottom as a base.

The parsley stems will lock into the lettuce and stand up.

My wife does my boxes and they are as flat as a pane of glass.
What he said. Keith

Join the club and get the t-shirt. I hate parsley, hate it with a passion. It's a meat comp, not a salad comp. That being said, I am sure you can find them out there, I think the Pickled Pig did one and Danielle from Diva Q posted a link to another. My shrek hands don't do parsley. I even have the shirt, not family friendly so I can't post it here.

Putting greens are nice, but I'd like to find instructions on a full lettuce bed with the curly edges rounding out the sides of the box. I've seen a couple but can't figure out how to do cleanly.

Back