Has BBQ "Jumped The Shark" ?

SirPorkaLot

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
In our current society trends tend to ride a wave.

In the case of BBQ, we have a cooking technique that is hundreds, if not thousands of years old, however it has never been mainstream.
It has always been a small segment of the population carrying on traditions of the past.

In recent years with the advent of televised food & BBQ competitions, there has been an overwhelming increase in interest in the once niche hobby of BBQ.

Once a trend hits the peak or high point in the wave, they next step is typically a downward slide.

My question is this:

Has BBQ hit the peak? has it "Jumped the Shark"?

Here is my (completely circumstantial and speculative) evidence:

7391585610_5b9028c9a3.jpg

pringles-smoky-texas-bbq_chip-review.jpg

Carolina-BBQ-Pringles.jpg

Lays-MemphisBBQ.jpg
Lays-CarolinaBBQ.jpg

:twitch:

:tsk:

History seems to suggest, that once the Big 10 in food get involved, things tend to go downhill.

Personally, I wouldn't mind. Maybe the prices on BBQ cuts would go down from reduced demand. I would be OK with that.

No way... natural continuation of people trying food better... now they are just figuring out how to do it without a snooty restaurant.

I think it might be headed that way. Not sure if any shark has been jumped, but the ramp may be under construction. All I do know, I make good BBQ. My family won't eat at a BBQ joint, or buy bbq'd meat(Lloyds). The people that know good BBQ will continue to make/eat real BBQ.

It's a trend, just like anything else. I like that it's in the spotlight. That allows me to disperse the knowledge I've gained here, and promote the greatest website around. I don't care if Burger King, McDonalds, or any other company wants to sell "BBQ". We all know it's not, and folks that eat our food, quickly learn that a McRib is just what it is...

Rant over, hopefully I didn't take this in an unintended direction. I do want to try the Pringles sauce though:decision:

Matt

Well, I started to think so when I drove by the local Burger King and saw they were offering up Texas and Memphis BBQ Sandwiches.

However, news like this that broke today:

Lockhart barbecue family buries the hatchet with new restaurant near Austin.

One of the greatest families in Texas barbecue is starting a new chapter in its storied history.

In 1999, descendents of longtime Kreuz Market owner Edgar Schmidt watched a family quarrel become national news — a "barbefeud" that ended with Kreuz moving to a new location and Smitty's opening in Kreuz's original home off the square in Lockhart. The family long ago made up, and now three of Schmidt's grandchildren have decided to publicly reunite by opening a new barbecue restaurant together.

But instead of doing so in the Barbecue Capital of Texas, cousins Keith Schmidt, who now owns Kreuz, John Fullilove, who is pitmaster at Smitty's, and Susie Schmidt-Franks, who hasn't been involved in the restaurants since she cleaned tables at Kreuz as a teenager, decided to open Schmidt Family Barbecue just outside Austin in Bee Cave.

http://www.austin360.com/food-drink...t-with-new-2404586.html?viewAsSinglePage=true

Leads me to think that it is only growing in popularity as they already own two of the most successful places in the land. Now they are heading to Austin where J Mueller and Aaron Franklin are doing quite well.

I believe SirPorkalot is correct. However, let me spin this a different way.

I hope backyard BBQ continues to explode in popularity for another year or do and then makes a fall back to where it was before BBQ Pitmasters.

I would like to see 1,000s of Big Green Eggs, 22 in WSMs, Jambos, Spicewines and any other smokers sold.

Because when all the bandwagon BBQuers move on to other fad foods all those slightly used BBQ pits will hit the market real, real cheap.

Just a thought...

Sir Larry of Rocklin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This may sound bad and selfish, but for all the people out there promoting BBQ to the masses, part of me wishes that it wouldn't get any bigger. Mostly for the reason that Bigabyte stated.

But on the other hand, I do consider BBQ to be the only style of food that is truly American. BBQ grew up with this country. I love seeing BBQ on TV, and reading about it on the internet.

Ultimately though, I kinda think it won't get too much bigger, because lets face it, most folks don't have the patience for it.

But does BBQ potato chips mean that BBQ is at a peak? REAL BBQ?

I think it's good that when you mention BBQ, people know (generally) what you mean. We had a customer at our vending tent this past weekend as, "Is the pulled pork like BBQ?" After some explaination, he was referring (as I've heard so many in the past) to pre-sauced shredded/pulled meat as "BBQ". MOST people know what pulled pork is it seems.

I still don't know if it's jumped the shark or not though.

The masses have always loved to eat BBQ but can't or won't cook it. Products like those chips are just riding the BBQ wave. People will buy those to go with their burgers and dogs at their next backyard "BBQ."

Those who can, do. Those who can't, have to rely on Corporations to provide the experience.

That's all well and good, until the corporations fail. Then, those who can, will be the kings of preservation.

Pulled pork is not necessarily BBQ. Pulled pork can be any pork that is cooked long enough to be pulled. BBQ pulled pork is pork that has been cooked over a live fire until it can be pulled. There are two things here.

BBQ the cooking method, this will always be somewhere in our culture, but, it will fade from the front of our fashinable conscience.

BBQ the idea, this will always be in the popular conscinece, in that every summer, we turn to outdoor cooking. A very large portion of the population equates what they call BBQ with summer, the backyard, burgers and tater salad. This has been around since the 1950's, coinciding with the changes in our culture that lead us to have backyards, and weekends off, the creation of a leisure class as it were.

Sir P,

Have you ever seen a Pitmaster T video? He's our voice of the brethren. I don't think he could jump a can of those pringles, let alone a shark.

Back