Gettin my beef short ribs on!(pron)

Look good and yep I learned that they take much longer the hard way also!

Thanks everyone for the kind words and encouragement! I love trying new things. Sometimes it's a win, others...an epic fail. This was somewhere in between, and I learned something new.

These seemed to cook more like brisket than pork spare ribs. Lesson learned there. It truly is like brisket on a stick, in more ways than one.

The wife and kids loved the flavor profile, just wished it was more tender, but we still ate em all. Wife suggested next time I get another pack. I think I will, and oh yeah, start earlier...

Flanken ribs are not boneless short ribs. Flanken style is a completely different cut that results in a very thin "rib" that is cut perpendicular to the bone that leaves 2-3 small bone sections in each strip of meat. These are better cooked hot and fast. We serve these marinated overnight in my Asian Junk sauce and then grilled quick, we call it our Korean BBQ.

Flanken ribs are not boneless short ribs. Flanken style is a completely different cut that results in a very thin "rib" that is cut perpendicular to the bone that leaves 2-3 small bone sections in each strip of meat. These are better cooked hot and fast. We serve these marinated overnight in my Asian Junk sauce and then grilled quick, we call it our Korean BBQ.

Once again, regionally, cuts have different names/availability. Here in NC, the cross cut plate is called a BI braising rib. The cross cut of a chuck flap is called a chuck strip steak, and is hard to find with bones. The flanken rib comes from the chuck flaps right along the first few ribs. If the bones were left on, it would probably look like exactly what you are describing. The original point was there were two brethren discussing why the taste and texture were different between boneless shorties and BI shorties. That was my explanation, they come from different parts of the critter. Didn't mean to stir the pot!

I also have been wanting to try Korean BBQ . You said you marinated in your Asian Junk sauce? Is this a recipe of yours , or is in commercially available? I would love to give it a spin!! (PM me!) I have tried the boneless chuck strip steaks and I like them, but I was just seasoning and grilling them. I think they would be awesome Korean style!!
It was not my intention to hijack the thread, so to the OP, great job, great idea, I have to try that soon.

--Mike

It was not my intention to hijack the thread, so to the OP, great job, great idea, I have to try that soon.

--Mike

It's all good. I'm here to learn and get better. If my little cook inspires an interesting discussion, and provides an opportunity for me to learn even more, I'm seriously thrilled. :eusa_clap

Great looking ribs. To get them tender, try using some citrus, either in your marinade or in your foiling or both. Yes, cook them longer if they are still tough. Go by tenderness instead of temp.

Back