The Taboo of Simmering - Jetton and Legends of Texas BBQ

About simmering... You do not have to have a big pot to do it. In fact, most of us simmer when we foil a rack of ribs or Brisket. In this case though, use either a hotel pan or shallow pan and cover with foil for a short time.

I am opting for the "dig up a classic" option here.

Simmering would be a great thing to try - I just gotta get me a pot that's big enough.

The stories about preparation remind me of when I was at my grandmother's - a great Southern cook. I was eating cake and was thinking it was the best I'd ever had and how it must be some great recipe handed down for who knows how long. I asked her what it was & she said "Oh that's Duncan Hines, I never could get it better than theirs". I have found myself wondering sometimes if my goal when cooking is to make a delicious meal or trying to prove some kind of a weird point through techniques and methods.

Thanks for posting this (and the other stuff too!). :thumb:

I foiled a rack of ribs a couple weeks ago. My keg seems to cook things fast, so I went 2.5 hours smoked followed by 1.5 hours foiled all at 250*. I had only put some parkay and SM sweet and spicy in the foil. At the end of the foil they were already falling off the bone, so I glazed them for about 10 minutes and brought them in. Next time I will foil for only 1 hour. For the record I was practicing for comps here in TX, where fall off the bones ribs are almost necessary. It's necessary cause judges get cheap plastic knifes and forks to sample ribs.

For the record I was practicing for comps here in TX, where fall off the bones ribs are almost necessary. It's necessary cause judges get cheap plastic knifes and forks to sample ribs.

Don't get me wrong... because I might indeed be wrong myself, but can someone confirm this? It does not seem right. With all respect.. I have not been to a contest here in a long while .

Also, ribs do not have to be fall off he bone for plastic cutware to be effective.

Once again... I am not bustin on ya... just want to know where this came from. :icon_blush:

Don't get me wrong... because I might indeed be wrong myself, but can someone confirm this? It does not seem right. With all respect.. I have not been to a contest here in a long while .

Also, ribs do not have to be fall off he bone for plastic cutware to be effective.

Once again... I am not bustin on ya... just want to know where this came from. :icon_blush:

The motto of cooking until it's done and then cooking for another 30 min.+ has been alive and well for quite a while.

thank you Donnie for a great look back at where our heritage comes from!

I really enjoyed this bit...

"Funny how something as traditional as simmering meat in a pot can be seen as untraditional while picking up a syringe and placing canned or powdered ingredients into the cut is not. Perhaps it is because KCBS and other Orgs forbid it."

Oh, I am THIS close to telling the whole world about my secret injection. But this paragraph is dedicated to the poster who may want to defend that their regional style was never simmered."

:pop2::pop2::pop2::pop2::pop2:

And remember, guns don't kill people, the CIA kills people.

Great read T thx for the info brotha:thumb::thumb::thumb:
They are looking for no sauced pull away from the bone basically salt and pepper and heavy smoke, they didn't like anything that was sauced(I wasn't the only one that figured this out after) this is what I leaned on my last comp I did at a IBCA sanctioned comp where the head judges husband took second place :tsk:

The ribs on the left are what I cut from for turn in
imagejpeg_2_15.jpg

I would have chosen those too... less shine. As a guy who uses the weep technique, fall off the bone has a completely different meaning than pull off the bone. In fact, I am not sure but that small little bone at the bottom of your picture.... back in the old days when I competed (1990's), as soon as that bone twisted easily out of the meat completely... that was done. Remember, I said "as soon as." Obviously if your mid bones do that the little bone will too - but is that what they want in Texas now?

Jorge? Expand please. I get the gist of what you are saying but sincerely would like to know more from you about this.

Jorge? Expand please. I get the gist of what you are saying but sincerely would like to know more from you about this.

It's one of those unwritten rules that has proved to be true over time among competition cooks.

As you know, we get our judges off the street in Texas. Believe or not, KCBS cooks, they tend to get it right and the evidence is that many cooks do well in Texas and with certified KCBS judges.

The judging process, in Texas, lends itself to what many would consider overcooked meat. If you want me to judge and give me plastic utensils it better be tender to make sure I get a reasonable sample to judge. If your chicken is tough, and a judge gives up on trying to get meat out of one portion of your half chicken...you are taking your own chances.

I want a nice, juicy, and tender chicken half. Brisket slices that barely survive making it into the box, and ribs that require a scalpel to slice. If I have the flavor right, and haven't dried the product out too much I've got a shot.

That's what a lot of judges off the street are looking for in Texas. It's not right or wrong, it's just different from KCBS. At the end of the day, the judges are right. The cooks that understand the differences can do well anywhere. KCBS cooks, doing a Texas contest should consider another 30-45 minutes once they think their product is done unless they have the experience to do otherwise.

Sorry for the delay in answering. Slammed with work, wife got the flu, wife gave me the flu.

Happy to discuss further, anytime....

Oh thanks so much that was great! I kinda see your right... for instance, if my brisket was sliced pencil thin it WOULD fall apart but at half and inch to 3'4 it holds together.

As a reward.....

take one jalapeno and make a slit in it and add to a cup of water and microwave until very hot... let the pepper steep a bit then discard.

Add one packet of theraflu and equal parts of

Jack Daniels
Lemon Juice
Honey

Make sure there is a couch nearby and sweat it out.

It's one of those unwritten rules that has proved to be true over time among competition cooks.

As you know, we get our judges off the street in Texas. Believe or not, KCBS cooks, they tend to get it right and the evidence is that many cooks do well in Texas and with certified KCBS judges.

The judging process, in Texas, lends itself to what many would consider overcooked meat. If you want me to judge and give me plastic utensils it better be tender to make sure I get a reasonable sample to judge. If your chicken is tough, and a judge gives up on trying to get meat out of one portion of your half chicken...you are taking your own chances.

I want a nice, juicy, and tender chicken half. Brisket slices that barely survive making it into the box, and ribs that require a scalpel to slice. If I have the flavor right, and haven't dried the product out too much I've got a shot.

That's what a lot of judges off the street are looking for in Texas. It's not right or wrong, it's just different from KCBS. At the end of the day, the judges are right. The cooks that understand the differences can do well anywhere. KCBS cooks, doing a Texas contest should consider another 30-45 minutes once they think their product is done unless they have the experience to do otherwise.

Sorry for the delay in answering. Slammed with work, wife got the flu, wife gave me the flu.

Happy to discuss further, anytime....

Simmering meat in a pot is a part of real southern barbecue.

Pictures of the South - Barbecue at Augusta Georgia - a wood engraving from a sketch by Theodore R. Davis published in Harpers Weekly Nov 1866

picture.php

A Southern Barbecue - a wood engraving from a sketch by Horace Bradley published in Harpers Weekly July 1887

picture.php

Jack Daniels
Lemon Juice
Honey

That's a $19 cocktail in New York City :becky:

Grandad and his brothers worked 40+ years for the railroad. After they retired, we'd camp at his place once a summer with his old railroad buddies. They'd simmer a clod in an old cast iron pot with water, beer, and bacon drippings from the breakfast table, right over the campfire all day long. Finished them off on a spit with crushed rock salt and peppercorns. When that puppy was done, you got it cut to order with a couple slices of white bread and a chunk of home-grown tomato straight from the garden. I never did get to sample that clear-lookin' sauce in the mason jar by the horseshoe pit, but it must've been good, cause the old timers would drink it straight from the jar! :wink:

Good times...

Great read T thx for the info brotha:thumb::thumb::thumb:
They are looking for no sauced pull away from the bone basically salt and pepper and heavy smoke, they didn't like anything that was sauced(I wasn't the only one that figured this out after) this is what I leaned on my last comp I did at a IBCA sanctioned comp where the head judges husband took second place :tsk:

From what I've read and talking to others that compete, ribs for TX comps. can vary. Some judges like dry, some like em sauced. From what I've seen a lot of people put a light glaze on the ribs. Ribs must be tender to get a decent sample, other wise you are shaking the whole table trying to get slice a piece of rib off.

From what I've read and talking to others that compete, ribs for TX comps. can vary. Some judges like dry, some like em sauced. From what I've seen a lot of people put a light glaze on the ribs. Ribs must be tender to get a decent sample, other wise you are shaking the whole table trying to get slice a piece of rib off.

Well it might have been my off the street judges cause everyone that light glazed were the redheaded stepchild out of 75 teams. Just try it man see how it turns out, just cause it didn't work for me doesn't mean it wont for you brotha. You hear there building a Trader Joes in SA man ?

I'm not into comps, but I was taught by my Daddy that you want to cook your ribs til they're "toothy". That being the meat will easily free from the bone when you bite the rib and give it a slight tug. He told me "fall off the bone" was overcooked.

If you can't use plasticware to get rib meat off the bone, you need to find something else to do with your time.:wink:

Oh thanks so much that was great! I kinda see your right... for instance, if my brisket was sliced pencil thin it WOULD fall apart but at half and inch to 3'4 it holds together.

As a reward.....

take one jalapeno and make a slit in it and add to a cup of water and microwave until very hot... let the pepper steep a bit then discard.

Add one packet of theraflu and equal parts of

Jack Daniels
Lemon Juice
Honey

Make sure there is a couch nearby and sweat it out.

I've got cough syrup with codeine. I'm good...loopy, but good.....

The knowledge and personalities on this forum truly amaze me some times!!!

Thanks PitmasterT...and every one else for sharing their tidbits of info!!!

Well it might have been my off the street judges cause everyone that light glazed were the redheaded stepchild out of 75 teams. Just try it man see how it turns out, just cause it didn't work for me doesn't mean it wont for you brotha. You hear there building a Trader Joes in SA man ?

You must have had some old school judges. :grin:

I placed 17th of 40 teams in Schertz last fall in ribs. I glazed using head country and a secret ingredient. :wink:

At the SA rodeo cook off, about 75% of the ribs that came across my table were glazed. I think glazing helps add another layer (or 2) of flavor to your ribs that you can't get with just dry rubbed ribs. At home I like them either way, so long as they are not over glazed.

Back