• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pork Shoulder

jcpetro97

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Today I did my first pork shoulder where I was actually paying attention to what I was doing, and focusing on comp-ready pork. IT cooked a little faster than I anticipated, but only by about 45 min, so it was in the wheelhouse. This is the first time I have set a time to finish, and I was actually done when I said I would ( woo hoo ). The cook wasn't without challenge. I lost a bunch of heat during a pretty big rain storm, but still managed to keep my cool, and keep things under control. The pork was at 199 internal temp when I pulled it off the grill.

So, fast forward to "pulling time" My plan was to slice the money muscle, and pull the rest. When I pulled the bone out, the muscle broke in two, and I am not altogether sure I could have sliced it. It broke apart REALLY easy. So, I am wondering, did I pull it off at too high a temperature? The flavor and consistency was great everywhere else, but this one item is bothering me. So in theory, what could I have done better here?

When I plan on slicing, I pull it off in the 185-190* range. I think the 199* is pushing it for slicing.

For comps...if you're serious about them (I'm not and I don't do them...) you should cook multiple butts and/or shoulders. Cook some to pull and some to slice. Good slicing meat isn't always pullable. Good pulled meat can be very difficult to slice.

^^^ what cook said, and I do take comps seriously. I'll cook no less than 3 for something like KCBS; usually 4. 2 come off at about 180 degrees, the other two off right at 200. I identify which ones ahead of time; meaning I choose the 2 with the best looking money muscles and trim them accordingly.

Sliced pork doesnt pull properly and visa. versa.

Back