Should I remove the mesh string from my pork butt

alane

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
The pork butt that I picked up is wrapped in a mesh string like the picture above. I am planning putting a rub on, letting them set for a while, and then put them in my WSM. Should I leave the string on before I rub and smoke them, or should I take the string off?

Thanks

Attachments

• hormel.jpg
    hormel.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 219
I've never had a pork butt with the mesh string like that but I'd likely just leave it on and go ahead and do whatever you do.

The buts I've gotten from Costco are de-boned and I've usually seasoned the inside then tied them up so the mesh string wouldn't be much different than that I wouldn't think.

I've never seen that before. Is it all one piece under the mesh?

I've never seen that before. Is it all one piece under the mesh?

Not sure. They are still in the packages. As far as the one piece under the mesh that's what I am wondering about. The thought crossed my mind that I may take the string off and the whole thing would fall into pieces.

It's boneless so it may be in two pieces. The one drawback to leaving it in the mesh is that when you go to take the mesh off some of the meat will stick to it, but if you are pulling it what does that matter. I will sometimes take the mesh off and run a couple of skewers through it before I smoke it.

Paul

I wouldn't leave it on, I don't think it would make for good eats if a guest finds pieces of mesh in there grub.... Thought for food;)

They put them in mess bags because they are in several pieces, bones removed and odds and ends, leave it on a rub it up and smoke it, low and slow. Yes some will stick to the mess but it will work as a whole and not a Bunch of pieces

I am going to pull it anyway, so I'll leave it on. Thanks for the help.

I've done a few of those for PP. Mine have always been 1 piece of meat, just oddly shaped. I normally leave the netting on, but I have removed it mid cook, once or twice.

I put the meat on for a few hours, then foiled for a couple, then removed the net before the bark started to harden. It didn't seem to make much of a difference either way. The net is only there to make it look pretty, or hold several pieces together.

Matt

I have gotten pork butts in a net like that, I cannot remember a time when it was chopped into pieces, they were all boned and in an odd shape. I remove the net, rub and let it cook that way. Or, I will re-tie it with cotton butchers string, those nets almost always have elastic in them.

I actually dressed (twined up) a butt before. I was handling a big 12 pounder and tried brining and such. It helped keep it together from handling so much. I usually don't though. I guess I would just leave it on.

I'd remove it, flatten out the butt, rub it with some good rub and cook it hot and fast (at 275F) foiling it just as it reached the plateau. The large surface area covered with rub should produce a lot of good bark.

I assume that it is a deboned shoulder and that is why they meshed it. Personally, I like to open up the shoulder and get rub into as much of the pork as I can and then tie it up real good. That said, I always prefer bone-in...

I bought one once, leave the string on it, you might have 2, 3, 4 ect pieces of pork, but it's not one solid piece

I left the string on and just rubbed the outside. Maybe next time I'll take the string off, rub everything, and then re-tie it. It's been in around 9 hours and the temperature is currently "stuck" at 180 (which from reading is not unusual). Grill temperature is holding good though, and as long as it doesn't rain I should be fine.

I prefer the bone-in butts. I avoid the Hormel Always Tender products as they have been "enhanced" with brine/marinade.

Back