Family Reunion

dannypat21

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
My wifes family asked if I would BBQ for their reunion next week. They want ribs, pulled pork sandwiches, chicken thighs and 3 sides. Was looking for help on how much meat to cook. The sides are mac and cheese, chile relleno casserole and a green salad....was thinking a full pan of each would do the trick. There will be around 60 people with alot of 18-30 year old men. Thanks for the help!

Unless you are going to serve it, which I doubt since it is your family reunion. The ribs will go fast, from my experience if you cut each rib individual they seem to go alot further. I would do 6 slabs, 3 butts and that would yeild around 36 1/3lb thats for the hungry guys there and 20 thighs. That would feed around 70 and with your sides you should be good. You could go cheaper if you went with more thighs and less ribs, but to show your true bbq skills I bet they would appreciate the ribs :becky:

Cut the ribs and put them at the end of the buffet table. You want to encourage folks to fill their plates up before getting to the ribs, otherwise you will have folks stacking their plates with half (and full) racks of ribs. I've seen it happen.

Put out several squirt bottles with BBQ sauce. Seems to help the line move faster.

I think you need to allow 3 bones per adult person, then allow for 1/4 lb cooked meat of the other choices. Folks are going to want the ribs first. I also second putting the ribs at the end, or close to the end, so that plates have food on them before folks get to the ribs. Sauce on a separate table is best. Or have them at each table.

Thanks for the help. My biggest concern was the ribs....I have cooked for my wifes family before and they go rib crazy. I am thinking of doing 6 racks of spares, 4 butts since they come two per pack, and 30 or so thighs. It's not a catering job so extra food will be ok. I am glad I bought a cambro!

My wifes family asked if I would BBQ for their reunion next week. They want ribs, pulled pork sandwiches, chicken thighs and 3 sides. Was looking for help on how much meat to cook. The sides are mac and cheese, chile relleno casserole and a green salad....was thinking a full pan of each would do the trick. There will be around 60 people with alot of 18-30 year old men. Thanks for the help!

10 racks will get you 2 bones per person. Still short in my opinion.
60 people at 1/4lb per person = 30 lbs raw butt. 4 butts would be perfect.
I am of the belief that if your going to offer 3 meats, EVERYBODY needs to get all 3 meats so you need to cook 60 thighs.
As far as sides, a full pan will feed 30-40 people depending on the side.

YMMV. :thumb:

Back