Need some help please.

Alan in Ga

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Our local Sams club has hired us for a 6 week Childrens MIracle Network fundraisers. They are providing all the meat(Butts),charcoal,spices for our rubs and sauces. They will be selling pulled pork sandwichs for the fundraiser and they want us to do all the cooking and have given us the full run of putting our name out and selling UDS's. My question is they want to pay us for the cooking and time spent on weekends How do I figure what to charge them? This is a great opportunity for 57 Smokehouse and I want to do it right. Thanks Alan

All your charging for is labor?

How much are you worth per hour doing something that you love?

Zero or Min wage if they insist ..You'll benefit enough from having your name attached...

This is great PR and the best advertising that cannot even be purchased. I say go with it and do the right thing. Just make sure you get your name out there enough to take advantage of this opp. Have enough litterature!!!!!

When we do these charity cooks at no charge, we have a "visitor's" book to let people sign in (With email and phone) with a comment or request area. We use it as a follow up tool, and add them to our Constant Contact list.

Another way we have had some success is by offering a free drawing for a BBQ dinner for 6 or 8. Entry is via email, and we take these emails and add them to our list as well for email marketing.

When we do these charity cooks at no charge, we have a "visitor's" book to let people sign in (With email and phone) with a comment or request area. We use it as a follow up tool, and add them to our Constant Contact list.

Another way we have had some success is by offering a free drawing for a BBQ dinner for 6 or 8. Entry is via email, and we take these emails and add them to our list as well for email marketing.

Hmmm, thats a good idea.

Those are some awesome ideas and I think going at no charge is the way I will go. Thank you for the responses.

I would tell them that if they insist on paying you, then make a donation to the Childrens Miracle Network in your name and go from there.

I would make sure I had a big banner made up that everyone could see, a lot of business cards, flyers and response cards to hand out. Drawing for a free dinner etc. Giving up 6 weekends is a lot so you need to captialize. If Sams insists on paying you for your time I would take it as a store credit. Since you will be slammed, will Sam's provide some personnel to help you? If not you will have some employee costs that you need to think about.

I guess I'm kind of confused by some of the responses here. As I read the OP, Sams has already HIRED i.e. decided to have him do the cooking. Given that, why not go ahead and accept a reasonable payment ?

Is the thought that if they have these in the future, forgoing any charges would make it more likely that he would be asked back to do it again and that he would benefit by the continued exposure ?

As for the banners, sign up books, or other "marketing activities", couldn't those still be done while accepting money for his time ?

It would be different if the job was put up for competitive bid and doing it for free would help get the gig, but, OP said that they already gave him the job.

I guess what I'm saying is that I wholeheartedly agree that the exposure would be beneficial regardless. That said, what's wrong with getting paid a reasonable amount while getting that exposure ?

I guess I'm kind of confused by some of the responses here. As I read the OP, Sams has already HIRED i.e. decided to have him do the cooking. Given that, why not go ahead and accept a reasonable payment ?

Is the thought that if they have these in the future, forgoing any charges would make it more likely that he would be asked back to do it again and that he would benefit by the continued exposure ?

As for the banners, sign up books, or other "marketing activities", couldn't those still be done while accepting money for his time ?

It would be different if the job was put up for competitive bid and doing it for free would help get the gig, but, OP said that they already gave him the job.

I guess what I'm saying is that I wholeheartedly agree that the exposure would be beneficial regardless. That said, what's wrong with getting paid a reasonable amount while getting that exposure ?

Speaking for myself, I realize that any monies paid to me mean less for the children's charity. That being said, some payment to help offset costs would be reasonable, but most charity events I do are for charities I support, and hence, I do not take a fee.

As for the marketing activity, I see much more return (Phone calls, follow up, replies, and eventually jobs) when I "market" in person via my charity work. Maybe it's people liking to be associated with people who are willing to help others - Don't know. It's just about doing the right thing.

All good imput. I have done Children's Miracle cooks in the past and not only gave my time but also all the meat. I have a 501c3 where we raise money to do these charity cooks to be able to provide the meat etc. If Sam's is providing all the supplies then all you have to do is cook. For a charity event like this I bet you could get a number of your pals to come out and help to be part of this event. This is the best advertising you can find and all you invest is your time.

Back