• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

This weekend's projected cook - 1st brisket

deguerre

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I was at my favorite mom and pop last night, and asked if they had any full briskets. The butcher wasn't in but the assistant made a note and promised to have one for me today. Well, I was not disappointed. They asked me how I'd like it prepared and I said I'll take it as is, and was then told, oh, it'll be 20 cents off a pound then. :cool: So, I've got almost 12 pounds of choice beef to hopefully not fark up this weekend.:biggrin:
I plan on cooking at 275 after rubbing with Bovine Bold until whenever it's done. I've got my choice of apple, mesquite, hickory or JD oak, and also a little cherry and alder fine chips to mix in but I'm not sure which one to go for yet. Anyway, here's the briskie in the raw. Future updates to come.

Attachments

• packer1.jpg
    packer1.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 198
  • packer3.jpg
    packer3.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 196
  • packer.jpg
    packer.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 196
  • packer2.jpg
    packer2.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 195
Good luck! May the force be with you!! :grin:

Do you have a Sam's club near you? If so, you can get Choice full briskets there usually for around $1.80/lb.

Guerry, you rock! That's a great looking brisket at a great price! Keep the photos comming!

Good luck. Are you going to inject or do anything else other than the Bovine Bold rub? Hope it turns out great!
Not on this one. I want to see what happens with just a rub. No marinating or fat trimming either, and probably no foiling but I'll decide that during the cook depending on how the sugar in the rub does.

Good looking hunk of meat. Looking forward to seeing the cook.

I vote for oak. Great with beef.

+1 on the Oak!:cool: Keep us posted.

I was leaning towards the oak. I loved how it worked with the standing rib, but I really like mesquite flavor too. I'll probably use the last of the JD though.:-D

Looks good Guerry, I would go oak with a touch of mesquite, it can be a good combo.

Guerry, good choice to keep the cook simple. We are a huge fan of the Bovine Bold. No injection is a good idea so you have a good base line to go from. You can trim some of the real thick fat and be just fine, but you are the chef. The sugar content of the Bovine Bold should not be an issue if you decide not to foil. Good luck and keep us posted.

Looks good Guerry, I would go oak with a touch of mesquite, it can be a good combo.
You know, Bob, I think I'll do exactly that. Good suggestion!

Guerry, good choice to keep the cook simple. We are a huge fan of the Bovine Bold. No injection is a good idea so you have a good base line to go from. You can trim some of the real thick fat and be just fine, but you are the chef. The sugar content of the Bovine Bold should not be an issue if you decide not to foil. Good luck and keep us posted.
Thanks Meat! I might trim some excess, but I haven't had a good look at it out of the cryo yet.

Good luck! May the force be with you!! :grin:

Do you have a Sam's club near you? If so, you can get Choice full briskets there usually for around $1.80/lb.

Thanks! Yep, there's two or three but I'm not a member. Can't decide between them or Costco.:biggrin:

Visit Costco as a non-member. Tell them you want to look around before joining and they will let you in. I've read here that Costco only sells flats (except in Texas). If that's true in your area you can then visit Sam's Club. They have USDA Choice Angus packers for $1.78 per lb in my area.

P9010024Small.jpg

Good luck with your 1st briskey!

Nice bro, I do a combo of woods whist cooking. Makes my nose happy to get the different smells. I start with one wood, use another and so on.

Visit Costco as a non-member. Tell them you want to look around before joining and they will let you in. I've read here that Costco only sells flats (except in Texas). If that's true in your area you can then visit Sam's Club. They have USDA Choice Angus packers for $1.78 per lb in my area.

P9010024Small.jpg

Good luck with your 1st briskey!
Good Suggestion!

Nice bro, I do a combo of woods whist cooking. Makes my nose happy to get the different smells. I start with one wood, use another and so on.
You ARE talking about cooking here, right Steph?:shock:

Nice Brisket. That's about the size I normally work with and do about 3 at a time on my offset.

I always fire up with charcoal to about 275, switch to hickory and run about an hour just to get the meat to temp. I drop temps to about 200-225 for the remaining cook switching to a mix of Hickory/Apple and finish up with Hickory for about the last couple of hours since it holds the heat better. For three of these with this method, it can take anywhere from 14 - 18 hours depending on weather.

Just FYI, I tried mixing Alder in once and haven't used it since. I thought it overtook the flavors of the meat too much for my taste. I did like my Oak experience, but I just can't get my hands on it economically.

Just my thoughts and experience. Good luck, can't wait to see the final results.

Just FYI, I tried mixing Alder in once and haven't used it since. I thought it overtook the flavors of the meat too much for my taste. I did like my Oak experience, but I just can't get my hands on it economically.

Just my thoughts and experience. Good luck, can't wait to see the final results.
Thanks for that advice on the alder. I'm going to remember it.

Back