Prime rib or Ribeye? What do you all prefer?

I like to smoke a whole Ribeye roast, cut to steaks and a quick sear to finish. Kinda hard to do for a sit down family meal but some good friends and beer and it is hard to beat.

An episode of tripple D had a place that smoked their prime rib. I'm going to have to try that some time.

I like to buy a big cryo when on sale, slice off a roast and the rest for steaks.

Red smoked prime rib, a prime rib (or standing rib roast) slow smoked over a hickory and cherry fire is hard to beat. But I will eat either and be happy as can be.

I have smoked a few Prime rib roasts.
the last one we smoked until rare.
then rubbed a little more and seared the outside
on a wicked hot grill. I came out nice a pretty smoke ring :icon_blush:

Can I like both? They are really different thing because of the traditional cooking methods. I am an equal opportunity beefer.

I thought they were both the same meat. You can get a bit more singe and seasoning, on the ribeye, which i like a bit more.

Since prime rib is the ribeye it just depends on the occasion. Just me, it's a steak. Got the fam over for Christmas it's the roast.

But sometimes the lines are blurred between what is a roast and what is a steak. I bought this bad boy a couple months ago labeled as a "small rib roast". Looks like dinner to me!

DSC02252.jpg

I love me some prime rib but for quick and easy there's nothing that beats a CAB ribeye steak.

I thought they were both the same meat. You can get a bit more singe and seasoning, on the ribeye, which i like a bit more.

That's the beauty of it, Hamburger can be...Burgers, Taco's, Meatloaf, Meatballs, etc...:biggrin:
Love Both, depends on the occasion I guess.

For taste I prefer a ribeye steak. I like strong flavors and you can get more seasoning per bite off of a sterak as opposed to the roast.

HOWEVER, for presentation and show off value, nothing beats a medium rare smoked standing rib roast coming off a smoker.

Back