• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Drying wood

2nd hand

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I got a ton of red maple that I still need to chop up but I have ?'s on how to store in the good weather and the bad. Also how can I tell when the wood is as dry as I want it to be? I asked my uncle to save me a little bit of the wood and he kept the whole fricken tree!?!? I know to keep it off the ground but should I keep it covered? Also how do I keep the bugs off it without spraying it?

"I asked my uncle to save me a little bit of the wood and he kept the whole fricken tree!"

This ain't a problem!

Man split that Maple before it hardens up. Thats some great firewood because it gets so dam hard when dry.

Sorry Im no help on telling when its fully dry. I usually split my stuff in the early spring when its still cool and its ready to go by the next winter. I'd say 6 months and itll be fully dry.

Knocking two logs together is a good test of how seasoned the wood is-- if it makes a hollow clunk, that's good, if it makes a dull thud, not so good....6 months should be good. I've heard that sprinkling cayenne or habanero around things is good. Bugs don't like it. Never tried it tho......

I bought a couple of splitting wedges and I'm gonna start soon but this was one big tree. Should I cover it with a tarp for the winter? Thought about picking up a log splitter but don't wanna spend the cash for a gas one and not sure if the electrics are strong enough.

Also what size logs should I cut them into for a 20x20 firebox? I don't want to make them too big and this all over again

2nd hand said:
I bought a couple of splitting wedges and I'm gonna start soon but this was one big tree. Should I cover it with a tarp for the winter? Thought about picking up a log splitter but don't wanna spend the cash for a gas one and not sure if the electrics are strong enough.

go buy a splittin maul, as big and heavy as you can get....one swing, split wood.....wedges will work you to death.

You should definately chop it up as soon as you can. Once it drys out it will be harder to chop. I would also look for some free pallets and stack the wood on it to keep it off the ground and cover it with a tarp. For a 20X20 box I would cut them about 16" long. If you don't want to buy a spliter, try renting one for the weekend. 12"+ diameter logs I would split into 4 pieces minimum.

Litte bit wood = sample of Q, Lots of wood = butt or brisket. Not as dumb as you thought he was!

If you cover it with a tarp, don't cover it completely. Leave some room for air and moisture to escape......enjoy all that maple. Nice stuff....

2nd hand said:

Rental! Think Rental! Around here I can get a gas powered splitter for about $65 and keep it the weekend.

I split all my wood by hand. Except for some pieces where a big limb came out of. Sometimes even hydraulic splitters won't handle those.

Good exercise too. It seems to be easier splitting if its Green AND frozen.

I typically burn oak in the fireplace and save all my hickory for smoking. I used to split the hickory up as I cut it but since it stays out in the weather, it would start to rot after a season. Now I just leave it whole and just split about 4 or 5 pieces before a cook with an 8# maul. I also cut it into 9-10" sections, much easier to split that way.

backyardchef said:
If you cover it with a tarp, don't cover it completely. Leave some room for air and moisture to escape......enjoy all that maple. Nice stuff....

Your right Matt, I forgot to mention that.

Back