First Catering

Sweet Peach BBQ

Reaction score
I have my first catering event in about a month. 40-50 people, cooking onsite. I'll be serving BBQ sammies, baby back ribs, chicken with slaw and beans. Any advice is much appreciated.

We need more specifics. What help do you need? Amounts? Timing? We can give all kinds of opinions, but if we don't know your situation that is all they are opinions.

Sorry for being vague, I was at work when I posted this. How many racks do you think I need, what pieces of chicken (I'm thinking legs and thighs). And I need help figuring out how many butts and the slaw and beans.

Last edited:
other questions are, how are you being paid, do you want leftovers? Per person or per event? The ribs and butts are not cheap any more. 2 butts using slider bun, 6-8 racks will give everyone 2 bones each. You can count chicken pieces. This is a lot of meat you are serving, so people might be inclined to take more ribs than the other two. I would make sure your client knows the limits on the ribs. Another thing to do would be to cut the ribs into single bones. Figure 4 oz of side per person. That would give you 200 oz of 50 people. That translates into 6.25 quarts. You will have leftovers of the sides. Not knowing the demographics of the group, this is just my best guess.

Charging per person. I was going to cut the ribs into two bones but the single bone might work. I've already told her that pork is not cheap right now so she knows. Trying to keep the leftovers down but I wouldn't mind a few. I have a mobile BBQ stand but I know that catering is different.

You can still do 2 bones per person. I just think in a catering situation it is easier for the guest to take one bone or two and not have to worry about cutting them. If you can use all the other stuff at your stand take enough to feed everyone. Do you know what you are going to charge? You don't need to disclose, but I want to make sure you have that covered.

I agree on the bones. Might just cut them down to a single bone. And yes, I have set a price and the client has given me a deposit.Thanks for the advice. If I have any more questions, I'll be sure to reach out.

Back