What brand of ribs do you prefer? Compart?

QTEX

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm sure its discussed many times but things change fast now days so just wondering what some of you comp cookers use recently?
I've been using the heb St. Louis ones and the Sams three pak ribs. Sams ribs for the last few months are more flap than rib and the HEB ribs are supposedly enhanced so looking to order something better. Tried some Hormels this weekend that a friend gets through Benny Keith, he owns a restaurant. The Hormels sponge up big and actually have a sponge like texture I did not care for. Unfortunately thats I I can find down here in deep south Texas.
Anybody using those Compart Duroc ribs?, if so what do they taste like?

We've been using pre-trimmed spares all year long. I get either IBP or Indiana Kitchen brands up here in Indy. They come frozen in the case. Been scoring pretty well consistently and the pre trimmed saves us a lot of prep time. All I have to do is skin em.

I have had really good results lately with Farmland St Louis cut ribs. Also the Excel spares that Save A Lot sells look really god in the case but I have yet to try them.

Qtex, I'm here in Southeast Texas and I usually just buy the HEB pretrimmed St Louis cuts as well. They work well for me, especially this summer when they had them on sale every other week.

Are the Hormels legal for KCBS? The only ones I can find online are their "Always Tender" ribs. I know they are enhanced with a "solution". Hormel refers to it as a marinade, but are they considered just enhanced, or would they be considered seasoned/marinaded?

Talking about these larger companies, anything in the Cargill line is always good stuff. The problem is a lot of distributors of their high end products are wholesale/food service only so the minimums can get kind of crazy for competition use.

From what I have gathered, Cargill maintains feed and living standards at their facilities. Most of the co-ops are simply that, a group of farmers with looser restrictions so products will differ more from farm to farm.

To me consistency outweighs quality. I will buy something slightly less then the best if I know I can get the same product each time.

nevermind.. found my own answer.. guess it had been awhile since I looked at that section.. it's all good

Qtex, I'm here in Southeast Texas and I usually just buy the HEB pretrimmed St Louis cuts as well. They work well for me, especially this summer when they had them on sale every other week.

I've done okay with both too, 2 first's and a couple top 5's the last couple months but sometimes they just seem so inconsistent in size and flavor and Sams ribs are more flap than ribs now.

Are the Hormels legal for KCBS? The only ones I can find online are their "Always Tender" ribs. I know they are enhanced with a "solution". Hormel refers to it as a marinade, but are they considered just enhanced, or would they be considered seasoned/marinaded?

They dont come in any packaging so dont see how a judge would even know they are Hormels.

I have had really good results lately with Farmland St Louis cut ribs. Also the Excel spares that Save A Lot sells look really god in the case but I have yet to try them.

The HEB ribs here are not always the same brand also so that may be the flavor and size difference. The ones I cooing today are Swift Premuim and it says natural on the package but I seriously doubt they are all natural, lol.

No Compart users here?, I'm surprised.

There are some. I think though that its a popular opinion that super premium pork is not worth the money for a KCBS contest. Brisket on the other hand....

The HEB ribs here are not always the same brand also so that may be the flavor and size difference. The ones I cooing today are Swift Premuim and it says natural on the package but I seriously doubt they are all natural, lol.

If there are ANY ingredients in the package other than pork, they are required by law to list it on the package. "Swift Premium" is an enhanced product. "Swift Premium Natural" is not.

If there are ANY ingredients in the package other than pork, they are required by law to list it on the package. "Swift Premium" is an enhanced product. "Swift Premium Natural" is not.

I've used their Natural and liked the ribs.

There are some. I think though that its a popular opinion that super premium pork is not worth the money for a KCBS contest. Brisket on the other hand....

Agreed Chris. Cooked some "Heirloom, All Natural, Berkshire / Duroc" butts this past weekend. Crazy marbleing, done a full 15 degrees sooner (touch, not temp cooker) and most of what went in the box was $1.39 Excel butts although the pulled was very tasty. Just not sure it's woth $3.89 / # for butts.

I know for a fact that 1st place ribs at the AR open were NOT premium ribs, and 8th place ribs were.....

Back