Tried my first Fatty today.

DerHusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Ok maybe more like a less Fatty Fatty. I took 1 ¼ lbs. of lean ground beef & 1 ¼ lbs. of ground turkey and mixed together with 1 egg and set aside. Then I grated 2 of the small red potatoes, ½ chopped red onion, ½ chopped green bell pepper, ½ chopped red bell pepper and 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese for filling.

IMG_3307.jpg

To this I added 2 eggs and mixed together.

IMG_3308.jpg

Laid out some saran wrap and formed two logs

IMG_3309.jpg

and rolled these up in the meat.

IMG_3310.jpg

Put these in the freezer to firm up a little. Then I laid out the bacon for the larger one of them.

IMG_3311.jpg

Wrapped it up and secured with some tooth picks.

IMG_3313.jpg

And onto the grill.

IMG_3314.jpg

Approx. 1 hour at 340 degrees.
IMG_3316.jpg

Small one done.
IMG_3317.jpg
IMG_3318.jpg

Large one done.

IMG_3320.jpg

Money Shot.

IMG_3321.jpg

Problems were. 1. Most of the cheese leaked out. 2. The vegies weren’t as done as I would’ve like. 3. The Bacon didn’t crisp up like I wanted.

You need a good seal to keep the cheese in.

Also, try sauteing your veggies a little first.

Put the fatty over hot coals to crisp your bacon.

Hope this helps.

Looks good, how did it taste? :smile:

Thanks. I unfortunately have to say I was a little disappointed with the taste especially the smaller one with no bacon. It was a litle on the dry side. (As I started the cheese leaked out so no moisture from that and no bacon either)

I did ramp it up at the end to 425 for the larger one to try and get the bacon to crisp. (and it did to some extent) I'm thinking if I didn't have a heat diffuser it would've crisped up better but then I would've had a giant mess to clean out afterwards. Not sure which way to go. I was also thinking if I ever try one of these again I would do a little pre-cooking of the filling.

You need a good seal to keep the cheese in.

Also, try sauteing your veggies a little first.

Put the fatty over hot coals to crisp your bacon.

Hope this helps.
I was afraid the cheese would leak out as they were doing their best to fall apart on me as I was rolling them up. (I think I needed to make the meat layer thicker) I guess practice will be need before perfect can be achieved.

I was also thinking if I ever try one of these again I would need to do a little pre-cooking of the filling.

I did ramp it up at the end to 425 to try and get the crisp to happen. I was thinking if I didn't have a heat diffuser it would've crisped up way better but then I would've had a giant mess to clean out from all that cheese.

Thanks for the advise.

Back