• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

30 Gal UDS ?

BluegrassSmoke

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Build my first UDS, 55 Gal, works great. My son saw this and now wants one...figures right?
Anyway, it's just me and the wife at home and we love smoking but don't smoke at lot at one time...one port butt or two racks is plenty for us..

So my question is has anyone build a UDS using a 30 gal drum? If so, how does it work out, as good as a 55 gal? Same method ?
What components would I use? The Weber 22 1/2 " grill fits the 55 gal, but I'm sure this would be to large for a 30 gal...what grill size would I use for the 30 gal? Brand?

Thanks all

I'm actually picking up a 16 gallon drum this afternoon for a mini-UDS build, essentially for the same reason you described. I already have an old Smokey Joe laying around so I can use the lid and grate from that.

I'm actually picking up a 16 gallon drum this afternoon for a mini-UDS build, essentially for the same reason you described. I already have an old Smokey Joe laying around so I can use the lid and grate from that.

I think the Smokey Joe's are smaller and are converted to mini WSM's with a tamale pot mid section.

I think the Smokey Joe's are smaller and are converted to mini WSM's with a tamale pot mid section.
I'm taking my lid with me for fit. They have new, unlined open and closed top drums in 15/16 gallon. If it doesn't fit I won't use the Smokey Joe lid and use the drum lid instead. I did not want to go the mini-WSM route with the tamale pot.

I built one, and love it. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133467

It was hard to find a drum of the right size in my area, so if you have the drum already you're ahead of the curve. You need the grates and lid from an 18.5" Weber kettle. Don't put all the intakes on risers like I did - it restricts the airflow. Just put one on a riser if you want but leave all the others close to the bottom. I would use 3/4" - 1" intakes like folks do for the 55gal UDS..

If you don't want to build it yourself or can't find a drum readily, PBC seems to be the same concept already built and on the market.

You can cook a lot of food on a midi UDS. I have 2 cooking levels and one grate for a diffuser in mine. Can easily do 20 lbs (2x 10lbs each)of pork butt, 12-14 lbs turkey, and 2 untrimmed racks of spares (not all at the same time of course) which is plenty for the 2 of us.

I'm taking my lid with me for fit. They have new, unlined open and closed top drums in 15/16 gallon. If it doesn't fit I won't use the Smokey Joe lid and use the drum lid instead. I did not want to go the mini-WSM route with the tamale pot.

A 30 gal drum is about 18.5" in diameter. Your Smokey Joe lid is quite a bit smaller.

I believe the accepted terms for UDS sizes are

55 gallon drum "UDS" uses parts from 22.5" kettle
30 gallon drum "midi UDS" uses parts from a 18.5" kettle
15/16 gallon drum "mini UDS" uses parts from a smokey joe sized kettle.

And a PBC is a 30 gallon drum with fancy rods and hooks. <<this one requires the use of lighter fluid per instructions.

El Ropo nailed it...

I've got a 55 gal UDS and 30gal & 16gal in the works! I've also hears about the large 26" Webers working with 85 gal drum!

A friend of mine is building a 30 gal UDS for a guy he knows. Gonna build it like a traditional UDS but have the option to run a smoke generator into the side of it to cold smoke cheese and sausage. The plans look good and seem no different than a regular size UDS, just on a slightly smaller scale.

And a PBC is a 30 gallon drum with fancy rods and hooks. <<this one requires the use of lighter fluid per instructions.

^^^LOL!! Opps, I threw out the instructions to my PBC with the box. Is that bad? :caked:

I built one, and love it. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133467

I read and looked at your build, one question...why did you cut the bottom of the new drum and not the top with the bung holes?

I did it that way to have an opening at the bottom to make thorough cleaning easier i.e. when washing the inside don't have to tip the drum to get the water out. What was i thinking... who cleans a drum? :crazy: It destroys the ugly!

El Ropo nailed it

I build 1 of each, and love em.

Love those wings. Super sweet!

So, as I mentioned yesterday I picked up a new 16 gallon, open-top, unlined drum for my mini-UDS project. But I ran into a slight dilemma. The drum body fits perfectly on the Smokey Joe so now I'm thinking instead of going the UDS route I can turn this into a tall boy mini-WSM. I'll even be able to hang 3 full slabs of ribs without getting too close to the coals. If I do this I'll replace those thin Smokey Joe legs with heavier duty legs, WSM style.
Has anyone ever gone this route, using a drum instead of the tamale pot? Decisions.....

P1060975_zpscef3a6b6.jpg

Last edited:
Back