Fab products for competition only?

cmohr74

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm not trying to put down anyone's products or anything of that sort, so please don't take it that way, but I have a question. I was given a couple samples of Fab B and Fab B lite and need some feedback. I know these products are used in the competition world for brisket and pork to get the wow factor in that one bite the judges take. They do extremely well for those that use them. However is this a product that you would inject into the food that you would feed your family and friends with at a bbq at the house or leave it strictly for the the competition world. I look at the ingredients and I can't pronounce almost half of them. What are your thoughts.

Dang dude! I was just chewing on the same question myself. Looking at FAB, Butcher's and Kosmos. Is it just for Comps??? Cheers!!

yeah, you can use it for BBQ to feed the family, but its pretty expensive ( i think ) to try to use it to sell BBQ

What's up Dan.....

I know just about as much as you about these products.....probably EXACTLY as much (wink-wink). What I do know is that they contain phosphates, which are a chemical tenderizer (I believe).

I've only played with them at comps. At home, I've had fantastic success with simpler injections like Chris Lilly's pork injection for pork butts. In my opinion, the expensive stuff is for comps. At home, I'm not looking for "Award Winning", just tasty and flavorful, which I can get with homemade injections.

Hey Kempis,

I couldn't agree with you more one that. I use the Chris lilly on pork butts and a beef broth mixture on briskets. However since I starting dipping my feet into the competition world, everyone wants me to cook what I would at a competition to see what the fuss is about. I just don't want to serve them something that will give them the wrong impression that I cook with a bunch of products that I can't even pronounce. They know me as the guy who likes to cook a ton of fresh veggies, fruit, herds, spices, and meats because that's how I prefer to cook for my family.

I know alot of people can seperate home bbq from comp bbq..I dont want to .I like FAB and use it at home. I would rather eat my brisket with FAB then a NY strip or other cut. When I cook for friends, neighbors etc...I dont change my mix. keep in mind that you dont loose as much weight when cooking with an injection so it kinda evens out....make sense?

The question you should be asking your self is do you want the best tasting and moist food for your family? You eat more chemicals in potato chips or most snack. I prob eat more of this type product than most any one else. I can honestly say I don't glow in the dark.

All kidding aside it is safe and I would for reasons already mentioned.

I find my comp stuff is a bit much to sit down and chow down on. I do not use my comp mixes at home because the goal is not the same. The goal at comp around me is that one-bite wonder. That's just not the same as what I am going for at home.

I find FAB and other similar products help retain moisture and enhance flavor. When I cook, I use them, for me, cooking at home is practice for competition

I work for a company that produces different types of phosphates for food and beverage, and they have been having me try out different blends that they have once they found out I do BBQ. Of course I have to bring in some samples for them. I have noticed a huge difference in my pork with the moisture retention, but the chicken really soaks it up as well. I think they work great, and they are approved for use in food in beverage, so I have no problem using them.

I use them on my home cooks as well, because, home cooks have become practice comp cooks, and I try to make the same everytime, looking for consistency.

Like I said, I'm not trying to put down any of the products that are out there. I appreciate the input though. I'm new to this so all I have been told about this product is that it is used to wow the judges on that one bite. But if you eat too much of it, it's so rich tasting that it makes you feel ill. I'm not saying I wouldn't use it for a competition, I just don't know enough about it to make a decision about home use or not. I just needed more input about this product and I seem to get great input on a lot of things from the Brethren. That's why I like this website so much.

What's home BBQ for the family? I cook so often I have lots of leftover pork and brisket.

For vending it's too costly and too much work, plus 16 butts in the fe always yields a very moist product. Cooking small quantities like for competition it does help with moisture for sure. If I was just doing a 2 pack of butts for friends and family I would probably do full injection. After all they deserve at least the quality I give to judges.

I've solved this problem by just not cooking at home :becky:

Seriously, during the comp season I don't do any briskets, butts or ribs at home unless i am trying out a new comp recipe. I do cook chicken, but not the same as I do at comps. When the off season comes around we're so burnt out on BBQ that I don't cook it again until I start practicing again for comps.

BTW, I can confirm that David from Butcher BBQ DOES NOT glow in the dark. Don't ask me how I know. :shock: :rolleyes:

So, if you only cook three or four briskets a year (Like me - pork is king at my house), would it be worth it to try?

I'm not trying to put down anyone's products or anything of that sort, so please don't take it that way, but I have a question. I was given a couple samples of Fab B and Fab B lite and need some feedback. I know these products are used in the competition world for brisket and pork to get the wow factor in that one bite the judges take. They do extremely well for those that use them. However is this a product that you would inject into the food that you would feed your family and friends with at a bbq at the house or leave it strictly for the the competition world. I look at the ingredients and I can't pronounce almost half of them. What are your thoughts.
I dont use any of those at home.I just dont care for the taste. I prefer to use a couple injections ive gotten out of cookbooks for home use.
Now I do use it in comps because as you say they help win.
I do prefer Kosmos myself

I find FAB and other similar products help retain moisture and enhance flavor. When I cook, I use them, for me, cooking at home is practice for competition

I agree cooking at home is PRACTICE NOT A GAME PRACTICE. I use at home and folks love it.:clap:

Back