Pepper Beef Sandwiches

R2Egg2Q

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
While at the grocery store yesterday, a 3.3 lb 7 bone chuck roast caught my eye.

While searching the Brethren archives for a pulled beef recipe that includes beer as an ingredient I found this post: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94382

I didn't have any Guinness and my wife was heading to the store so I asked her to see if she could find a single bottle of stout (I'm not a big stout drinker) and if not pick up some Newcastle Brown Ale (which I do like). She came home with a single Newcastle as the Guinness was "huge".

So instead of Pepper Stout Beef, I made Pepper Ale Beef (sounds weird).

Here's some pics of the process (other than the beef I didn't deviate much from the recipe - except I only used 1 jalapeno pepper as we're wimps with hot peppers).

Chucky was generously seasoned with S&P and smoked over oak on the Large Egg:
IMG_0085.jpg

The green peppers, red onions, garlic, and jalapeno pepper soaking in a pan waiting for the beef:
IMG_3737.jpg

Chucky jumped in and was covered with foil:
IMG_0088_2.jpg

A little over a couple hours later the chucky was pulled and left uncovered:
IMG_3745.jpg

IMG_3748.jpg

After another hour or so, the liquids had reduced some and it was looking ready:
IMG_3749.jpg

IMG_3757.jpg

We had some extra Kings Hawaiian Sandwich Rolls so they got used (recipe calls for hard bread but these needed to be eaten - quickly I must say before they got too soaked):
IMG_3761.jpg

I topped my second sammy with some cheese:
IMG_3767.jpg

I definitely will be making this again (but I'll try it with stout).

Is it wrong to want pepper ale beef for breakfast? that looks great!

I love that recipe. Did it once down at the BBQ shop, and man was it a hit. Looks like you nailed it, as usual :thumb:.

I've done that recipe too. One of my favorites.

It has been added to my list of favorites too!

I fixed that for you, but it really wasn't nice...

:becky:

Thanks Ronelle! Worst part is I read your edit first and thought, "what did Brauma call me that Ron had to change it to 'stupid'?" :heh: I'm in dire need of a good cup of coffee right now. :doh:

I love that recipe. Did it once down at the BBQ shop, and man was it a hit. Looks like you nailed it, as usual :thumb:.

I wish I was there as I would have added this to my list of favorites & been cooking this earlier!

Hey John
That looks a bit better than the Christmas cookies I'm nibbling on..

I do chuckies a lot
I'll have to try this method, soon.

Good job.
Thanks for sharing

Great looking sammie! That recipe comes out great no matter how you mess with it.

Looks fantastic John!! On my to-do list for sure. :thumb:

Looks great.
Just pulled some Chuck out of the freezer,shall give it a go tomorrow.
Cheers.
Titch

Another great pron installment of pepper stout/ale beef! So delicious...

Back