Charcoal issue.

Bludawg have you tried the new central market oak lump? It's good stuff. I like the mesquite also because of the big chunks.

I love this stuff, it's my go to lump now.:grin:

I like to run Kingsford competition in my UDS... more even, less ash, and I get higher temps than blue (for a given amount of air) or it runs great at low temps. Kingsford blue is on sale a lot more often and easier to find, so I have a bunch of it. I like the low ash level of lump, but I have ended up with variable temps so I don't trust it for long cooks or when I can't/won't babysit it.

I use briquettes for grilling, lump for smoking. I never have any trouble getting 10-12 hours out of a load of lump in most smokers. I don't like the chemical fume smell and taste from minioned briquettes.

Agree on the lump. I tried KBB for the first time a couple weeks ago on a butt. Couldn't keep temps up because of the ash. No issues with RO lump. I have a full bag of KBB i dont know what to do with now.:doh:

If you have a LOWES home improvemnt center close by, they carry Stubs all natural briquettes. I use them for competition in my Backwoods Competitor and also at home in my UDS and Kettle grill. Works well in all of them.

I use lump. There are several brands that I like, but lump and wood chunks works great in my UDS. I'm not a fan of the flavor that KBB puts on my food, otherwise it burns okay.

I started with KBB on my WSM and had fine results but couldn't get much past 250. Since switching to various brands of lump, I can run much hotter as needed. Haven't had much problems with swinging temps with it and the minimal ash is great. Usually after loading a full bag and doing a "longer" smoke, I still have some left over. I sometimes use KBB in a pinch or if I'm too lazy to drive the extra 5 miles for lump.

I got a 35lb bag of Fogo lump from amazon 3 weeks ago and have been really happy with. Have 5 or 6 cooks done with it and it's been solid for 800 degree steaks or 225 smoking. A ton of really great big chunks. And no need to drive and pick it up.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009P166SU/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com: Fogo FHWC35LB 35-Pound All Natural Premium Hardwood Lump Charcoal Bag: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

Back