Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Meatopia Presents: Bare Bones BBQ Contest - Oakland, CA - Sept. 22nd

SirPorkaLot

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Eat Real Fest is a huge festival (150,000 attendees expected) with a small contest component.

This contest in non-sanctioned and is being advertised as a Pro-Am contest pitting (pun intended) Pros vs Joes (amateur pitmasters defined as ones that do not own a restaurant or do not have a product offering).

The Pros are some of the most well known pitmasters & chefs in the country.

Another factor of this contest that makes it interesting is that everything is provided identical; pits, meat, canopies, etc to the entrants (IROC style).

The entrants will have 8 hours to prep, cook and serve:
Pork Ribs
Beef Ribs
Lamb Breast

Using only items and methods that were available in 1850. The main exception to that rule is the COS they are providing the entrants to cook on.

The list of Pros:

Chris Lilly - Big Bob Gibson BBQ
Chris Phelps - Chef @ Salt's Cure, Los Angelas
Nicole Brisson - Executive Chef @ Carvenino, Las Vegas
Nick Pihakis - Jim & Nicks BBQ
Harry Stewart - Great American BBQ, Alameda, CA
Donald Link - Chef at Herbsaint & Cochon, New Orleans, LA
Rodney Scott - Scott's BBQ, Hemingway, SC
Rick Hackett - Chef/owner at Bocanova, Oakland, CA
Doug Keiles - Ribs Within (comp BBQ team & Chopped Grill Masters)

Anyone else going to be there?

http://cochonrestaurant.com/

I would put long money on Chris Lilly.

No doubt that Chris Lilly would be a favorite going in, but there are others in the list that may know a little something about good BBQ. :biggrin1:

Well known pitmasters?..the only one on that list that is well known is Chris Lilly..Donald Link is a badass chef too but not a pitmaster..I mean how many GC's do the rest of those guys on the list have combined?..my guess is not very many.

Well known pitmasters?..the only one on that list that is well known is Chris Lilly..Donald Link is a badass chef too but not a pitmaster..I mean how many GC's do the rest of those guys on the list have combined?..my guess is not very many.

Really??

Okay, I'll bite.

First: I don't define BBQ pitmasters by how many GCs they have won or how many TV shows they have appeared on (Sorry Myron).

Great BBQ is a highly subjective thing.

In NC BBQ is very narrowly defined as smoked pork (shoulder or whole hog, but NEVER ribs)

In Texas true BBQ is beef.

(I'm just going to leave the west coast out of this one, as they have no true BBQ identity, even though there is some great Q to be had here)

The only way I know to truly judge how good someone's BBQ is to see how many folks spend their hard earned cash to go seek it out and pay for it.

Rodney Scott of Scott's BBQ is not as well known (at least out west) as Chris Lilly, but I doubt you will find many folks in the South who are not familiar with Scott's BBQ.

Jim & Nicks is newer to the southern bbq scene than Big Bob's or Scott's, but is still a big hitter.

As far as the GCs are concerned, I think you will have to agree - competition bbq is in no way similar to "real bbq" (tongue-in-cheek - calm the fark down!).
Unfortunately there are way too many competition cooks that think just because they can cook great muffin pan chicken and candied ribs, they can cook great BBQ. :crazy:

I also doubt there are many GC winners that could cook pork on a COS without foil, brines and injections and walk away with a trophy in this crowd, however if you are interested in proving me wrong, they are still accepting entrants...:becky:

Next...

Last edited:
Yes really..you were the one that posted "some of the country's most well KNOWN pitmasters"..all I'm saying is that that list is very short on national level talent as far as competition cooking is concerned..and this is a competition right?..and the statement about the top guys couldn't cook on a COS without injection,foil ect is a pretty bold one and I'd bet most would argue otherwise..I'm not trying to prove you wrong just pointing out your false advertising.

Yes really..you were the one that posted "some of the country's most well KNOWN pitmasters"..all I'm saying is that that list is very short on national level talent as far as competition cooking is concerned..and this is a competition right?..and the statement about the top guys couldn't cook on a COS without injection,foil ect is a pretty bold one and I'd bet most would argue otherwise..I'm not trying to prove you wrong just pointing out your false advertising.

It's not false until proven wrong, haven't you been paying attention to the politicians? :becky:

And please re-read my post above. Competition BBQ is not the "end all be all" of BBQ.

I mean I am sure I can come up with a whole bunch of folks that can tell you who Scott's BBQ is, that have probably never heard of Left Coast Q.

Does that make Left Coast Q worse than Scott's? Or better?

I'd say neither. Hard to compare apples and oranges.

Scott's BBQ is on my list of must do things in the next 10 years. There was a video I saw of his place and incredible pretty much sums it up.

A bad analogy I think you would agree, no?

Roy Perez has been at Kruez Market for like 20 years and not one GC that I know of.

John Mueller, if you ask him, would tell you to take your GC's and shove 'em. His Brother Wayne probably feels the same way.

For the record, Aaron Franklin is not known on the competition circuit but seemed to do pretty well at Meatopia in NYC.

http://digitaltexan.net/2012/austin...ion-yorks-meatopia/article39757/#.UFOu941lQWk

While I would agree that most of us are better cooks than Sir Porkalot are giving us credit for, a Pitmaster is not necessarily someone with a GC trophy.

You Mileage of course probably varies.

While I would agree that most of us are better cooks than Sir Porkalot are giving us

Lol
Gosh I hope so. :becky:

There are some amazing cooks on this site, that I can only hope to be the pit bitch for one day.

Haha no actually I haven't been paying attention to politics it's been shoved down my throat enough already..I do agree with some of your comments although I think you underestimate what some of the top level comp cooks can do..my definition of a pitmaster is he can cook anything,anytime on any cooker agree?..while I do know of Scott's(have a bottle of his sauce)and a few others on the list most of them aren't well known competition cooks..they are restaurant owners..and while comp q may not be the be all end all of BBQ this thread and section is about competition right?

A bad analogy I think you would agree, no?

Roy Perez has been at Kruez Market for like 20 years and not one GC that I know of.

John Mueller, if you ask him, would tell you to take your GC's and shove 'em. His Brother Wayne probably feels the same way.

For the record, Aaron Franklin is not known on the competition circuit but seemed to do pretty well at Meatopia in NYC.

http://digitaltexan.net/2012/austin...ion-yorks-meatopia/article39757/#.UFOu941lQWk

While I would agree that most of us are better cooks than Sir Porkalot are giving us credit for, a Pitmaster is not necessarily someone with a GC trophy.

You Mileage of course probably varies.
All 3 of the guys you mentioned are great pitmasters and have places that people make long drives to eat at(I love to someday)but they aren't on the list above..so how do they have anything to do with this thread..if they were on the list I would have no argument about the original post.

while I do know of Scott's(have a bottle of his sauce)and a few others on the list most of them aren't well known competition cooks..they are restaurant owners..and while comp q may not be the be all end all of BBQ this thread and section is about competition right?

Seriously? These guys compete everyday, they compete against McDonalds, Pappa John's and every other restaurant that is near their establishment.

They compete to pay their bills, to make a living and support their families.

This is a hobby for most of us, period. Very few are making a living and paying their bills by filling a box full of parsley and making turn in times on Saturday.

All 3 of the guys you mentioned are great pitmasters and have places that people make long drives to eat at(I love to someday)but they aren't on the list above..so how do they have anything to do with this thread..if they were on the list I would have no argument about the original post.

It was the correlation between well known pitmasters and GC's that led me to this. Those fellas are well known pitmasters with no GC's.

Your statement seemed to be all encompassing. Now that I see it was not...

I've got chicken to practice before I get my ass kicked in St. Charles, MO in two weeks!

Anybody who thionks Chris Lilly is a contest guy that can't cook beyond that doesn't know him very well.

Seriously? These guys compete everyday, they compete against McDonalds, Pappa John's and every other restaurant that is near their establishment.

They compete to pay their bills, to make a living and support their families.

This is a hobby for most of us, period. Very few are making a living and paying their bills by filling a box full of parsley and making turn in times on Saturday.

No Chit..thanks for stating the obvious..look guys all I was stating fm the very beginning is that most not all on that list aren't well known.

would you guys please quitcherbitchin about pitmasters so we can get to the real excitement of this thing like who won the "Flying Knives Steer Butchery Competition" and will the "Flying Knives Pig Butchery Competition be televised?

Congrats to Chris for winning this unique event. I was going to put money on Doug Keiles but he was disadvantaged from the start with the contest being in Oaksterdam:becky:

Back