Espaldilla de Borrego? ( Mutton shoulder roast/front quarter)

D.F. Expat

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I was asked to cook a mutton shoulder/front quarter roast for a party coming up soon but don't have much experience with mutton . Should I treat it like a pork shoulder and pull it ? I usually do lamb to rare/medium rare but with the connective tissue in a shoulder it seems like it should be cooked more no? Was thinking low and slow till near done then crank it for a nice crust.

TIA for any help.

Bump, meat just arrived. Any new suggestions?
207103_1981231288114_1163140340_32423946_4315028_n.jpg
photo.php

Mutton won't "pull" like a pork shoulder or beef clod. Not enough fat in it. Garlic, coriander and cumin go very well with mutton or lamb, so build a rub with those as major components. I know a guy that smokes rear lamb quarters until they hit 170 and then slices them thin and folks really like them.

OK I will treat it more like a leg and finish lower. pics to follow Sunday.

Look forward to seeing the results - I've never bbq'd lamb or mutton but would love to at some point.

217505_179851825395794_139061126141531_389940_3370584_n.jpg

205702_179851838729126_139061126141531_389941_4851825_n.jpg

I ended up marinating it in Garlic, Rosemary and Olive Oil, then dusting it with Fresh Ground Salt and Pepper. Smoked over lump and apple at 200° till 130 ° internal then removed and foiled while I got the drum up to searing temp. Seared a couple minutes per side then back in foil to rest. I have to say it was one of the best pieces of Lamb I have ever had, very mild and paired well with the apple smoke. Sorry for cell phone pics, it was all I could do to get a pic of the second piece as the first disapeared way too fast to try.

That looks awesome, I did a boneless leg of lamb last year with salt garlic and rosemary rub. It was the best we have ever had. Now this year they want me to do the bone in leg, mind sharing a little more info on the marinade, that sounds interesting. How much of each ingredient and how long you let it marinade for.

That looks awesome, I did a boneless leg of lamb last year with salt garlic and rosemary rub. It was the best we have ever had. Now this year they want me to do the bone in leg, mind sharing a little more info on the marinade, that sounds interesting. How much of each ingredient and how long you let it marinade for.
Sorry, no great measurements for the marinade, it was 5-6 large cloves of garlic, 1 stick fresh rosemary( maybe 8-10 inches tall?) and olive oil. I basically made just enough to rub both pieces generously and then wrapped and refrigerated them overnight. Then I put some fresh ground sea salt and black pepper on just before it hit the smoke.

Back