What's up with all the black nitrile gloves?

KevinInStL

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Forgive me if this is a stupid question. So I've just recently been getting more into BBQ, and started watching lots of Youtube videos about BBQ, smoking, grilling, etc.

Why is everyone always wearing black nitrile gloves, lookin' like O.J. Simpson or something? I guess I can understand it when handling raw meat, since it's faster/easier to just take off your gloves before going on to the next task. But people are wearing gloves when handling charcoal, cutting cooked meat, everything. What's the deal? Just trying to protect their manicures? :heh:

My wife and I have always watched a lot of traditional "indoor" cooking shows, and I never see many people wearing gloves in those, so it just makes me wonder why all the BBQers are...

Unless you have a sink or running water outside, washing your hands frequently is a luxury. Nitrile gloves fix that. Then theres the knit gloves under nitrile gloves that work amazingly well for handling hot things.

If you cook a lot of meat in a large smoker, you often want to move things around, and nitrile gloves with cotton underneath make it much easier than using tools or big silicon mits. They are also great for pulling pork, shredded beef etc.

Black are for rich people. Get the cheap 3 or 5 mils from harbor freight.

i just do like washing my hands all the time when i am outside cooking and have to climb two flight of stairs at my house . It just makes it easier for me to trow a couple pairs of gloves away on a cook .

My wife and I have always watched a lot of traditional "indoor" cooking shows, and I never see many people wearing gloves in those, so it just makes me wonder why all the BBQers are...

There it is, watch pitmasters on YouTube and you'll pick up a few more things.

Black nitrile with dry cotton gloves underneath give you the ability to handle hot meats and still have some dexterity.

Once you try them, all other cooking gloves are obsolete.

^^^^This.

It allows for sanitary meat handling and, with the cotton inserts, gives you some heat resistance to handle hot meats.

Last edited:
Sanitary reasons for wearing nitrile gloves are the important thing.... but one reason black nitrile gloves are more popular than other colors (like blue) is because they don't show sauce, grease (other than some shine), and don't show smudges from your smoker. In other words, gloves are certainly better than relying on hand washing and sanitizer alone, but even though they don't look soiled, you still need to change them often.

I'm fortunate enough that they supply 4mil nitrile gloves and cotton gloves at my work and they work great together moving hot food or pulling pork. I wont be buying gloves for a long time.

I go with the blue because I use them without the cotton liner when prepping and the sun just goes through the black gloves.

I use the 5mil for prep but went with the 7 mil gloves over knit for handling hot stuff. I have tore a finger on the 5mil before.
I also use plastic "lunch lady" gloves for some food handling. They can be found at Dollar Tree. They will not hold up to heavy use but are great for quick tasks on cool or only warm food.

And I always thought that those gloves were special food handling ones not the ones I have in the garage from Harbor Freight LOL.

been wearing nitrile gloves for years, and the cost has dropped over those years... the last case (10 boxes of 100) I purchased just happened to be black.
The colour does not matter to me, pink would work fine too... I just look for the best price.

If you want to just pick up a couple of pairs of the cotton gloves, Home Depot has the brown cotton gloves pretty cheap, and you can probably get a single pair or a multi pack. They work well with the nitrile.

Back