Anyone looking at 2007 yet?

Jeff_in_KC

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I took a few minutes this morning and jotted down some potential contests for 2007 keeping in mind I'll probably need to go from eleven to eight contests due to a once-in-a-lifetime nearly free trip to Hawaii in March. Here's what I'm considering:

April 13-14: Osage City, KS
May 11-12: Platte City, MO (the moved this one from early June)
May 25-26: Great American BBQ - Kansas city, KS
June 15-16: Sedalia, MO
June 29-30: Cameron, MO (GREAT payouts!)
Aug. 3-4: Laurie, MO (shut your pie, Bob! :lol: )
Sept 7-8: Blue Springs, MO
Oct 12-13: DeSoto, KS or Columbia, MO (will decide later)

Might squeeze in another one if I can find an opportunity to not take Friday off and have someone set up for me.

jeff.... its october.... back off on the caffine...

You should concentrate on buffing the cheek prints off your smoker this winter, and THEN look at the schedule.

:icon_clown :tongue:

ok, back on topic.

Gotta see how finances are after Plant City in a few weeks. I finance my comps with catering money...the CFO questions $$$ spent from family funds!

We're talking about some, too, to plan out next year:

May 18-19 maybe Sevierville, TN if there's not a replacement for Carmel, IN that weekend
June 1-2, Crestwood, KY
June 15-16 maybe Elk Grove, IL
In July, either Cabella's or Grand Rapids (hopefully not that one)
August, Madison, IN
Late September, Maggie Valley, NC
October 19-20 Nelsonville, OH

We're hoping to do 4-6 next year. Not going nuts, but it would be nice to do a few more.

Well yes, I am looking ahead to 2007. I am planning to cut my teeth next year, and try my hand in a comp. Princeton, WI in August. Close to home. If that goes well, who knows? Maybe I'll try Sparta, WI.

I don't even know what I'm doing the weekend after next - haven't even thought about next year. :roll:

You really have too much time on your hands!! I hear they are planting grass on the hill for you in Laurie!!

Don't forget the NEBS Snowshoe Contest - Usually in Early March
and
Grillin on the Bay in Brooklyn on March 31st!

(I'm such a whore.)

Snowshoe (MA)
Salisbury, MD
Memphis in May
Lake Placid
Grill Kings
Harpoon
New Holland
American Royal

I am already thinkin about next year.... Only cuz I have not had to cook the last couple weeks, so it is driving me nuts!!!

....and talked about the Polar Swine at the AR with some folks, looking forward to kicking the season off in Feburary, at about -4 degrees F!!!! From there, I have a few "Must do" contests - Osage City, Platte City, Marshalltown, Laurie, Roots Fest, Greeley.... I'll try to set the rest of the scheduleafter I figure out what catering funds/sponsors we have.... I want to shoot for 15 events again this year.... more if the funds let us.

Hey Jeff, I don't know much about the comps, but I've been thinking about it some. I would like to go to a couple if nothing else. What I'm getting at is do you have a link and could you nudge me in the right direction so I know where and when these Q contests take place, especially in MO and KS.

Thanks!

ultramag said:
Hey Jeff, I don't know much about the comps, but I've been thinking about it some. I would like to go to a couple if nothing else. What I'm getting at is do you have a link and could you nudge me in the right direction so I know where and when these Q contests take place, especially in MO and KS.

Thanks!

The KCBS site will have the 2007 schedule up and update it as new contests are added. Some are already out there. www.kcbs.us Most of the contests keep the same weekends year to year.... so look at this year's schedule and choose accordingly. I would start close to home, and branch out after you learn what you forget.:grin: I believe I have posted my contest checklist in earlier posts as well....

Also, I know you could get assistance from any of us that are out there... Always here to help...

We have so few contests on the West Coast we try to do em all

On our "For Sure" list is...

Marshall, MO
Platte City, MO (Pending a graduation - so maybe isn't For Sure yet.)
BarbeQlossal - Des Moines, IA
Alma, MO (Small non-KCBS contest)
Missouri State Fair - Sedalia, MO
Blue Springs, MO

The "Maybe" List...

Liberty, MO
Warrensburg, MO
Art of BBQ, Tulsa, OK
Laurie, MO

HoDeDo said:
The KCBS site will have the 2007 schedule up and update it as new contests are added. Some are already out there. www.kcbs.us Most of the contests keep the same weekends year to year.... so look at this year's schedule and choose accordingly. I would start close to home, and branch out after you learn what you forget.:grin: I believe I have posted my contest checklist in earlier posts as well....

Also, I know you could get assistance from any of us that are out there... Always here to help...

Thanks for the link, I had looked there before and thought that was the site. I must have looked the wrong place or something. I had no idea all the contests here in MO. I'll certainly at least go and check a couple out and hopefully meet some of you guys in person. I don't/won't have the equipment and probably not the knowledge to do that next year.

I'll git outta the way now and let you guys get on with the serious business of planning the creation of awesome Q. Thanks again HoDeDo.

Bristol PA
Lake Placid NY
Harpoon VT
Bel Air Md
New Holland PA
Clarence NY

Might add a couple, may be Grill Kings and Delaware if the dates fit.

Link to the schedule page for Ultramag

ultramag said:
Thanks for the link, I had looked there before and thought that was the site. I must have looked the wrong place or something. I had no idea all the contests here in MO. I'll certainly at least go and check a couple out and hopefully meet some of you guys in person. I don't/won't have the equipment and probably not the knowledge to do that next year.

I'll git outta the way now and let you guys get on with the serious business of planning the creation of awesome Q. Thanks again HoDeDo.
Here is the link to the calendar. you can search by month, (Click on the month hyperlink at the top of the list)or do an advanced search by location, etc.

http://www.kcbs.us/MonthlyContestList.action?calendarID=3&forward=/contest_calendar.jsp

Back