Testament to the forgiving nature of butts.

tinman

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I scored two butts at Safeway this morning totaling 13lbs for only $14, so I couldn't pass that up. I rubbed them down with Yardbird and tossed them in the UDS at 250 and let it ride.

I set up a new covered area to put over my Weber performer and UDS since I use them the most out where they are sitting.

I was noticing the temperature drop a bit on my UDS, and I have been having that happen a bit lately with some really fine chunk lump that is clogging up my basket right now. I think air flow is getting a little restricted. Anyhow, I pulled all the vents wide open and after about 35 minutes, it was cruising at 275. I decided to leave it alone and headed down the hill to Lowes with my family. I came back two hours later to find the UDS cranked to 425. I opened it up and it looked like this...

I probed them and they probed like butter and the bones were pulling out. I tasted a tiny piece of bark and it was awesome, so I pulled them out and wrapped them for an hour in the cooler.
We got dinner stuff ready and I got out the bear claws and pulled the butts....

They were outstanding, and all in all the cook tool 5 hours and 12 minutes on my cook timer, with a 60 minute rest. Was pretty funny. If that doesn't serve to show how hard butts are to screw up, I don't know what will.

Looks good to me. Nice backyard also, love how you make the kids rock climb the wall if they wanna use the slide.

Nice. Hot and Fast really is a beautiful thing. Especially when you are entertaining and need to get a good nights sleep the day before. I typically cook at 275 but for parties I will go up to 325 or so to speed it along so I can get some rest the night before.

I've gotten lazy... I had rather smoke at 275 to 300.
I get great BBQ and it's done a little faster.

I use a water pan in my off-set, and the higher temps
give great 'Bark'.

It's no big thing if the temps spike for just a little while.
Just keep an eye on it...

The great thing is , people think you're a wizard if you make pulled pork at all , and it really is almost a no brainer. ( no offense). :biggrin1:

The great thing is , people think you're a wizard if you make pulled pork at all , and it really is almost a no brainer. ( no offense). :biggrin1:

Your completely right though....seriously hard to mess up and stupid easy. I was pretty surprised how moist these were too. Probably the darkest bark I have ever had, but the best tasting bark too.....go figure. Makes me curious just how hot and fast I could push it and still get good results. I might try an experiment next weekend and see.

Back