• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cold Smoked Biltong (Jerky) Jerky (Perfected!)

SmokinAussie

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne
G'Day Bruces! :becky:

Some of you will remember I've made a few attempts at Jerky, with some success and a failure or two. Since I last posted Jerky, I've made several smaller batches. Now I've got the technique right and I think I can start giving some away for taste testing etc.

Making this Jerky is different from the way it is commonly done in the US. This is really "biltong" which is more common in South Africa and Australia, where the meat is dried as whole slices over a greater time rather than drying slivers of ground and spiced meat in a dehydrator....

I think this process is better. Hope you like it too..

I started by getting the spices, salts and sugar ready...
DSC_0319.jpg

And here is the whole topside I had for the job...
DSC_0322.jpg

First I removed the more fatty muscle that wraps around almost the entire topside. (this went on the Weber that night as a fantastic medium rare bef roast.. almost like a flank!)
DSC_0323.jpg

And that left me with the main muscle... about 12 pounds
DSC_0324.jpg

This was sliced into large strips.
DSC_0326.jpg

Ready for dusting in the Jerky cure..
DSC_0328.jpg

All coated and then into the fridge covered for 4 days!
DSC_0329.jpg

4 Days Later, here they are.
DSC_0389.jpg

The steaks were rinsed well in a mix of 1 Gallon of water and 1 Quart Malt vinegar
DSC_0390.jpg

In a small aluminium basket, I put 1 small lit chunk of lump and added a block of pure compressed oak sawdust. This came from a factory that cuts French oak down to make flooring. He sells this stuff on eBay! The smell is awesome, the smoke is blue, and it burns long and cool!
DSC_0383.jpg

Note the temp.. well under 100F... all night!:thumb:
DSC_0394.jpg

Next morning, I had ash...
DSC_0396.jpg

and I had some WONDERFUL smelling cold smoked jerky, still moist, for the next part of the process.
DSC_0397.jpg

DSC_0398.jpg

Then the jerky was hung in my Redneck Jerky drying cabinet with a decent fan to blow the moisture out of it for the next few days.
DSC_0401.jpg

Day 2...
DSC_0399.jpg

Day 3
DSC_0405.jpg

Day 4... Done:
DSC_0413.jpg

Nice and glossy!
DSC_0406.jpg

DSC_0414.jpg

Here's the best part... the slice. Note the colour and the transluscent texture... that's what I'm looking for:thumb:
DSC_0418.jpg

And the flavour??? Really good. Nice amount of smoke. The fact is that biltong is not generally cold smoked, so this is an addition to the process which I think has really worked well here.

The smaller pieces were a little salty, but really not overly salty... that just makes you drink more beer!. Also, nice and chewy, but not hard.

Really, the best result so far!

Thanks for looking.

Cheers!

Bill

VERY NICE! I too am a fan of jerky that has not been ground up and pushed through a jerky gun. I slice it thin, marinade and then use a dehrydrator but I gotta tell you this jerky you made looks primo! Nicely done Bill.

That looks great, and nice info. I have read about biltong but have not tried to make it. My attempts at jerky are still a work in progress. Sometimes good, sometimes not so good.

the process is very interesting. what kinda humidity did you have the days you were hanging them. dont really know if it would make a differance, but i think i would like to try this. i live in south florida so we have high humidity "80%" or higher most of the time so 4 days might not work for me, but i love the process

the process is very interesting. what kinda humidity did you have the days you were hanging them. dont really know if it would make a differance, but i think i would like to try this. i live in south florida so we have high humidity "80%" or higher most of the time so 4 days might not work for me, but i love the process

The fan definately makes a difference and speeds up the process. Florida is a lot more humid than Melbourne, but I learnt this process througha businss in Brisbane (about the same humidity as Florida) that does it this way... they use real Big Arse fans and it dries in 96 hours.

You should give this a try!

Cheers!

Bill

Nice results there, Bill! Gonna try it here with an impromptu biltong box myself. Love the addition of smoke too. BTW, did you also use the pink stuff?

Oh my gosh that looks good! I am a jerky fan and am going to get the stuff to try this! :thumb:

My neighbor is from S.A. and he makes bitlong all the time...I can't stand it. Just nasty. He has a wood box with a lightbulb in it, hangs meat in there for a long time, no smoke. Hard as a rock, yuck. Maybe yours is better, he really likes his, I can't stomach it but eat it and tell him it's good so he doesn't feel bad.

So do you slice off pieces of that to eat or do you just gnaw on the whole thing? It's also good to see some redneck ingenuity made it all the way to Melbourne. You can't keep a good redneck down.

Looking awesome Bill! Wanna make some thick cut jerky like that! :shocked:
When I make jerky though I usually use Cure #1. Isn't Cute 2 for longer, slower curing/drying meats? Hmmm I guess its kinda that grey area in between. :thumb:

Cheers!

My neighbor is from S.A. and he makes bitlong all the time...I can't stand it. Just nasty. He has a wood box with a lightbulb in it, hangs meat in there for a long time, no smoke. Hard as a rock, yuck. Maybe yours is better, he really likes his, I can't stomach it but eat it and tell him it's good so he doesn't feel bad.

I got a smaller box like that too. Personal preference on how dry people like it. I like it with a bit of chew. Too dry, and it can become very hard and salty and break your teeth! I know from triel and error!:becky:

So do you slice off pieces of that to eat or do you just gnaw on the whole thing? It's also good to see some redneck ingenuity made it all the way to Melbourne. You can't keep a good redneck down.

Just have a pocket knife handy and slice bits off a hunk whenever you want!

Looking awesome Bill! Wanna make some thick cut jerky like that! :shocked:
When I make jerky though I usually use Cure #1. Isn't Cute 2 for longer, slower curing/drying meats? Hmmm I guess its kinda that grey area in between. :thumb:

Cheers!

Dang! now your doin my head in :shock:... no I checked here...

Cure #2... I confuseded myself last time you asked for my ham I made last year. I said cure #2 and meant Cure #1... This job is for Cure#2... I think... maybe.:confused::confused::confused:

Cheerss!

Bill

Back